What certifications do I need to become a Malware Analyst?

Shade

Thread author
Jun 9, 2015
I've previously posted here on how to get started as a malware analyst, and wanted to say thanks on getting me started. How much do certifications help me in for my resume and which one(s) should I get? Will experience ultimately be better than a cert? And finally, when should I get certified? I'm currently a sophomore studying information assurance, should I wait until I graduate to get certified?

Sorry for the abundance of questions, and thanks for helping.

Reactions: Rolo

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Experience/certification aren't mutually exclusive. Get both, because the other guy may have both.

In addition to your own research, your school should have information to actually prep you for certification.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
No clue; I retired 5 years ago.

What kind of job do you want? Look at those jobs online to see what their requirements/desireds are. Hang out with (ISC)2 guys.

Your school should have job search/placement assistance also.

Shade

Thread author
Jun 9, 2015
No clue; I retired 5 years ago.

What kind of job do you want? Look at those jobs online to see what their requirements/desireds are. Hang out with (ISC)2 guys.

Your school should have job search/placement assistance also.

I'd like to become a malware analyst and research/investigate malware and develop signatures for antivirus companies. I'll see if my advisor knows anything about that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.