Not open for further replies.

Durden

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
Hello everyone. :)
here's the thing.. during the early 2000's I hated symantec and it's security product norton , and I've always used NOD32 or Kaspersky .. but since ~ 2011 (I guess) I started to like their products and their new approach to security.
so bottom line is , today, security-wise I do like Norton security , I might even say I love it and I'm really tempted to buy it .. so my question isn't regarding whether it's a good security suit or not, because I believe that it's one of the best right now , whether we talk about security or performance.
So with everything that has been going on in the past years, my concern is about Privacy , what do you think about Symantec ? do you trust them ? and according to that should I go on and buy it ?

P.S : please try to stay focused to the subject.

H

hjlbx

Symantec is a good security soft vendor. Of course, anyone will find gripes about the softs themselves in one way or another. However, the protections are pretty good along with good usability, reliability and compatibility.

Privacy issue is really over-blown for typical user.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I do trust Symantec. Its trustworthy company and i have never heard of them collecting personal data from the users, other than some technical or usage reports to make security product and user experience better. I would have bought Norton Security if i had spare money, but instead i learned how to configure Symantec Endpoint Protection for Home use and have not spent a penny. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Symantec is one of the very few vendors acknowledged in corporate security (Sophos is the other real big name). other vendors (used to do home users products like Kaspersky, etc...) are not even considered.
I am not an expert but I have tried Symantec, Kaspersky & Eset Endpoint products. And as you said I find Kaspersky & Eset kinda same as their home products but Symantec is different from its home products like settings, features, etc... & some one with technical knowledge Symantec presents loads of stuffs to play with.

By the way, are you still running Symantec Unmanaged Client?
You have mentioned even if reduced databases are installed, Symantec at sometime installs full databases. Did you face the prob?

Reactions: Logethica

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
SEP in the corporate space- On the whole a fine product if one excludes the rather significant issue it has with sriptors. Refer to the very public retail breaches at Target and Home Depot for demonstration of this. As to the use of an unmanaged client on a home system I really think that it is installed more from a sense of coolness than any actual proof of superior efficacy.

D

Deleted member 178

By the way, are you still running Symantec Unmanaged Client?You have mentioned even if reduced databases are installed, Symantec at sometime installs full databases. Did you face the prob?

No more issues at the moment.

As to the use of an unmanaged client on a home system I really think that it is installed more from a sense of coolness than any actual proof of superior efficacy.

Just using SEP's Firewall , can't find a better one, the proactive protections are handled by my anti-executables.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
For a non-nagging and super fast PC, Norton tops my chart. I wish some features would be implemented better (built in parental control, no extensions in browsers). I love the idle auto scheduling that Norton does. It smart scans your PC after definitions downloads and does an optimization check. It does these often and when it does, you notice zero performance impact. Local and online backup works very well too. Incremental backup is fast and doesn't slow PC down. Backups are auto encrypted too. Anyway, just a couple of things off the top of my head that I like about Norton.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I think Symantec is actually one of the biggest security companies in the world, and has a very good product. I'm a Norton user for a lot of years, and I didn't have any problems. In terms of privacy, Symantec collects specific data in order to improve the product, their database, to identify new threats quicker (that's what Norton Community Watch is for), but it does not collect personal data, it's all anonimously. I found this essential in actual security software, because it gives to the product a very quick response to new attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.