Advice Request What do you think is the best home security system?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

rlady

Thread author
Sep 27, 2020
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I think a lot of it depends on your goals combined with your budget. Do you want/need professional monitoring? Do you want cellular backup in case someone cuts your network or intrudes during a power outage?

There's a lot of different opinions on DIY systems but generally Simplisafe's is regarded as the "best" all around. If you have a lot of Nest/Google stuff, the Nest Secure system is pretty nice too because of its integrations.

At my vacation home we use Nest Secure, because it integrates seamlessly with the Nest locks and cameras. You disarm the system using the same passcode for getting into the house, eliminating the extra step of running over to the alarm system to disarm. Whenever the alarm goes off, you can have it turn on all the cameras (my indoor cameras are usually off for privacy unless I'm going away for a long period of time). Their sensors are a combination of a motion sensor and a open/close sensor, making them really versatile. Unfortunately the Google product is only available in the US and a few other regions, and it's relatively expensive if you can't wait for a sale.

Based off the reviews I've read, I would probably go with SimpliSafe if I didn't already invest so heavily into Nest for the thermostats and security cameras.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I have a few good signs that warn of CCTV though at this point there are none (thieves don't know that) but for dark time I have several staged solar sensitive LED lights & also three exterior LED flood lamps that are 500 times brighter than I envisaged them to be - If you get round the back of the house the light factor is similar that a sunny day on Mercury - I do feel for night time security lighting is helpful OR it enables thieves to see what they are doing :):):)

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Honestly I’ve found cameras to be a better initial investment than security alarms. A visible camera deters a lot of thieves, and generates the evidence you need to file an actionable police report or insurance claim too. Plus, even absent of crime, a camera will give you an idea of the baseline level of activity around your premises. For example, at my vacation home in a rural area, my camera in the past 7 days has seen only 5 cars driving by, all of which are the neighbors’. Meanwhile, at my primary residence in a dense urban environment, literally 5 minutes after Amazon delivers a package, I’ve seen people come up to the doorway and shake the box to see what’s inside. (I’ve attempted to report that but the police department says no laws are broken unless they steal the package lol)

This is the kind of info you wouldn’t have from just simple motion sensors and stuff like that. For me, the main purpose of an alarm system is if someone breaks into the house while I’m sleeping, I’d like to be woken up.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
In Japan, gravel is used for home security measures. In the category of security software, it is like an intrusion detection system.
When it comes to home security, it's best to think in terms of intruders and criminals. It is imprudent, but it is the shortest course to know the environment that you want to avoid psychologically.

rlady

Thread author
Sep 27, 2020
In Japan, gravel is used for home security measures. In the category of security software, it is like an intrusion detection system.
When it comes to home security, it's best to think in terms of intruders and criminals. It is imprudent, but it is the shortest course to know the environment that you want to avoid psychologically.

oow, great home security. I've never heard anything like this before. It sounded very interesting and logical. Any other suggestions?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think this is the wisdom of a country where ninjas have been active. Ninjas had the ability to sneak in like malware.

By hanging such a bell in the room, it is possible to detect even a slight movement of air.:)🎐

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.