What does Spyhunter do?

Product name
Spyhunter
Pros
  • I tried the trial version. It just detects the suspicious files but does not handle them. If you want all these to be deleted, you must pay for another version.
CONS
You can find countless download links in many sites. These links used to appear in a article describing similar programs as a malware or pup. I don't know what exactly this program is, but it may involve in some unfair competitions.
Moreover, I found this program transmit data to India. What does this action mean?
BOTTOM LINE
Somebody just define this program.

Captain Price

Thread author
Jul 9, 2014
I can find many sites promoting this product, especially some sites with low traffic site.
Did the developer register some sites and use them for promotion? As I see, the construction status of these sites are very poor.
Moreover, these sites always publish articles about "How to remove XXX (similar products)", and provide a download link of spyhunter claiming Spyhunter is the best solution. I don't know whether the operators of spyhunter involve in a partnership with these sites. I use the Norton firewall to monitor this program find it transmit data to India. Also, I Google this and find many posted messages defining it as malware.
Someone please tells me the truth.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
It's not a great program, low detection rate and poor protection. It's not a malicious product, it's more a potentially unwanted program.. I would avoid it. The sites that are promoting this product have partnerships with Spyhunter. Malwarebytes, ESET, Norton, HitmanPro and other well-known companies offer on-demand scanners, just use a one of them.

M

Manzai

SpyHunter4 tested by me in VM (Pro version)

@Malware1 pack ( July 8th ) : 1/33 ( SpyHunter detect 9 cookie)

URIt7Gd.png

In run :

Copy NoVirusThanks :eek:

ldN3Izt.png

I allow always

Zbot missed, Bot VM (Bitdefender block the connection)

owVJQfy.png

Memory

Tsn2azz.png

Ransomware, test finish :D

llSTBkF.png

SpyHunter is good ? For me, NO !

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Spyhunter has had a long history of scamming users. The older versions didn't even come with an uninstaller, you had to buy it in order to uninstall it. It also would display fake threats in order to get you to buy, you could not kill it with task manager or even remove it from system startup. It used to be listed as rogueware but they did cleanup a bit after a few lawsuits and eventually got removed from other AV detections. Still it is not a trustworthy product. They hire people to post fake reviews on malware removal sites to promote it.

If you ask me it is pure junk.

Enjoy!! :D

M

Manzai

Spyhunter has had a long history of scamming users. The older versions didn't even come with an uninstaller, you had to buy it in order to uninstall it. It also would display fake threats in order to get you to buy, you could not kill it with task manager or even remove it from system startup. It used to be listed as rogueware but they did cleanup a bit after a few lawsuits and eventually got removed from other AV detections. Still it is not a trustworthy product. They hire people to post fake reviews on malware removal sites to promote it.

If you ask me it is pure junk.

Like Loaris Trojan Remover :D (and SpywareDoctor)

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Anthony Fenger

Jul 14, 2014
Hey Guys,

I work for Enigma Software Group as malware researcher and registered here just to deny rumours about SpyHunter that it is a rogue or malicious product.

SpyHunter is more of an antimalware program and not a full featured antivirus program (though such functionality is being developed for future releases, some functionality is being added with every new update).
I agree that SpyHunter alone should not be used for standalone files scanning or real-time monitor, in that case it should be used in conjunction with some reliable antivirus program.

But typically most users get infected with adware programs, PUP's, ransomwares from various bundled installers and downloaders and SpyHunter aims to remove those unwanted nasties AFTER they are installed on user's PC, using on-demand scanner. Most threats are removed with as little leftovers as possible.

In the end it is everyone's choice to use what they like. By any means I don't want to force anyone to change their opinion or to promote our product. I just want to clear any uncertainties regarding SpyHunter and I would like to ask some users not to spread false information about our products based on some rumours and not their personal experience.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Hey Guys,

I work for Enigma Software Group as malware researcher and registered here just to deny rumours about SpyHunter that it is a rogue or malicious product.

SpyHunter is more of an antimalware program and not a full featured antivirus program (though such functionality is being developed for future releases, some functionality is being added with every new update).
I agree that SpyHunter alone should not be used for standalone files scanning or real-time monitor, in that case it should be used in conjunction with some reliable antivirus program.

But typically most users get infected with adware programs, PUP's, ransomwares from various bundled installers and downloaders and SpyHunter aims to remove those unwanted nasties AFTER they are installed on user's PC, using on-demand scanner. Most threats are removed with as little leftovers as possible.

In the end it is everyone's choice to use what they like. By any means I don't want to force anyone to change their opinion or to promote our product. I just want to clear any uncertainties regarding SpyHunter and I would like to ask some users not to spread false information about our products based on some rumours and not their personal experience.

The main problem with SpyHunter is it offers no free removal, who would actually want to buy a product that isn't even a full solution?
Malwarebytes, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware and several malware removal tools like McAfee Stinger, Dr.Web CureIt, Sophos Virus Removal Tool, F-Secure Easy Clean, Trend Micro Housecall, Norman Malware Cleaner, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, Avira PC Cleaner, EMCO Malware Destroyer, etc. offer free malware removal what makes SpyHunter so special that it requires you to buy before you can remove? Wonder if the removal fails then you waste your money.

Every time that I ran a scan on my system with SpyHunter all it found was false positives and kept displaying notifications to buy because my system was infected. This is a very poor way to try to sell a product. To myself this is scamware.

If SpyHunter wants to establish themselves as a trusted company, then need to offer free malware removal and then have paid features similar to Malwarebytes, Emsisoft, SuperAntiSpyware, Avast, Avira, AVG, etc.

Reactions: Koroke San
D

Deleted member 178

agree, a software that ask money/buy to remove stuff ( one reason i dont use Hitman Pro too) is a scam approach.

Malware Security

Level 11
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
I wanted to test spyhunter along time ago, but they filed a copyright on Myittech at youtube. The only reason they did that is because spyhunter did horrible in his test. So for that reason, I do not test it!

If it does bad in your test and you post it on youtube, spyhunter will go after you!:D

Reactions: Malware1

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well still a questionnable product where it contains free scan but with annoying pop ups of purchasing the license even you exit the program. The mere fact registry cleaner under that category is dangerous and may activate aggressive scan. Besides of scamming history of their company.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
agree, a software that ask money/buy to remove stuff ( one reason i dont use Hitman Pro too) is a scam approach.
The main problem with SpyHunter is it offers no free removal, who would actually want to buy a product that isn't even a full solution?

That's why I don't use Hitman Pro either. Both require you to buy the product to remove malware

L

LabZero

I think in this thread has already been told all about this software but, after having tested personally, I would say my opinion.

If I wanted to judge SpyHunter lightly I could say that it's a common anti-malware program able to locate and delete all those malicious programs, but it doesn't. ...

SpyHunter makes false system scans showing exaggeratedly alarming analyses that attempt to induce the user to buy the paid version to get rid of more or less real threats envisaged. Actually detected threats are usually only false positives, simple cookies or even completely invented threats.

SpyHunter also is not limited only to make deceptive scans: in some cases I think it may even intentionally install adware and spyware and then report them in scans and classify them as "dangerous".

Finally (another annoyance caused by SpyHunter) this software will be launched each time the computer starts (then start slowing down) and some will pop up in which you will recommended buying the paid version.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That's why I don't use Hitman Pro either. Both require you to buy the product to remove malware
Surfright is a legitimate company, HitmanPro won't give deliberate FP, unless it's by the AV vendor or natural FP. SpyHunter does on purpose to scare the user.

HitmanPro offers a 30 day free trial, or you can remove it yourself. 30 days is more them enough to remove the infection, without the risk of it returning.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Surfright is a legitimate company, HitmanPro won't give deliberate FP, unless it's by the AV vendor or natural FP. SpyHunter does on purpose to scare the user.

HitmanPro offers a 30 day free trial, or you can remove it yourself. 30 days is more them enough to remove the infection, without the risk of it returning.

All of this is the truth.

People act like everything is supposed to remove malware for free, it really does bug me when I see that though.

There are some free alternatives, but a few of them doesn't have multiple engines.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.