Advice Request what happened to my windows smartscreen?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I haven't see it active lately.
Windows reports that it is turned on, but I just never see that full-screen blocking message anymore.
what to do?
windows 10 pro x64 AU
background to problem:
after changing my security config, I noticed that windows smartscreen was off, and greyed out.
I enabled it and then disenabled it in group policy, and then I set it to "on" from control panel.
But I don't think it is actually working...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually it happens when a restriction is set in Windows to restrict users from changing SmartScreen filter settings. The restriction might be set by Administrator or a 3rd party software accidentally.

Link for the fix

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Do you see a process called smartscreen.exe?

Try running an application installer while disconnected from the Internet.
I see the process running.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Do you see a process called smartscreen.exe?

Try running an application installer while disconnected from the Internet.
okay, I tried running eMule0.50a-Installer, I don't think I ever tried it before, I downloaded just now from sourceforge, I disconnected from internet before running it. I have UAC set to highest level, so I see the UAC prompt. But I don't see the smartscreen prompt.
Maybe because of UAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.