What happens to your discarded old computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Howdy fellow members this is an older article but I believe it is more relevant now because of the death of Windows XP is approaching and most of these older system components will not be able to be upgraded, these old system components will end up in our land fields causing hazardous waste on planet Earth.

Dangers of Old Computers
So where do these electronic relics go to retire? Between 2003 and 2005, as much as 85 percent of the disposed electronics in the U.S. went straight in the trash and headed directly to local landfills or incinerators [source: EPA]. Worldwide, as much as 50 million tons of old electronics are discarded annually..
Read More

Commit: It is very easy to say XP is obsolete and needs to go but where will it go?
As technology advances more toxic materials will continue to be disposed in the ground poisoning the water and killing life. What a price to pay to keep up with the latest technology. I wonder if anyone will still be alive in the future to enjoy technology advances.

Thanks. :D

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
In Australia we have a national "government initiative" rolling out over the next 18months in all metropolitan, regional and remote area's of Australia. The government states it is an action to take responsibility for the collection and recycling of waste televisions, computers, printers and computer products. Personally, I think they olny do something if they're getting something out of it for them selves. One can only ponder the possibilities. *gold*! (cough), *%data#! (couhg, cough).

I often collect PC's being discarded, and do rebuilds to donate to local organisations that support families in financial hardship and cannot afford to by their children computers for education. (I have more than enough test machines in the cupboard :rolleyes:)

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i live in Portland,Oregon and here we have a program called Free Geek and other computer recycling centers but
Free Geeks offers more than recycling

Free Geek is a Portland-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit offering free computers, technology and education powered
by reuse & recycling in association with Oregon E-Cycles. We accept almost all technology with an emphasis on reuse.
All materials are handled ethically and environmentally.

Update your skills & resume as a volunteer intern

Free Geek is a great place to gain work experience in areas that translate well into real-world jobs while helping your
community and environment. Alongside our numerous casual volunteer opportunities, we also offer a variety of unpaid
internships for those 16 and older.

Our volunteer interns can expect a set schedule, the opportunity to learn valuable job skills, and letters of reference
after successful completion. While there are many different opportunities available, right now we're highlighting a few
key areas where we could immediately benefit from volunteer help (and benefit you, of course). These include the Tech Support,
Office Support and Thrift Store/Sales internships.

http://www.freegeek.org/

:)

James

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
There are no recycling centers in my area, the closest one is about 300 miles away. I have several older XP systems which I have rebuilt and are in top running condition setting in storage. I'm working on donating them to a local day care center where children can play games and use older learning programs provided by the day care. Of coarse they will not be connected to the web, so they will not be vulnerable.

Too bad that none of these older system will support upgrades but probably will still work another 10 years or longer.

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
I'm working on donating them to a local day care center where children can play games and use older learning programs provided by the day care. Of coarse they will not be connected to the web, so they will not be vulnerable.
Too bad that none of these older system will support upgrades but probably will still work another 10 years or longer.

These machines will have years of life left in them, why should they go to waste. Sad thing is thousands and thousands of them will, when there is so many uses for them and people that genuinely will have need for them, if only for word processing. Such as students.

I remember using my old 486DX, with 16mb RAM (Mass Power! haha) when everybody else was moving off their Pentium III's!
I was just happy to have something to bash away at :rolleyes:

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
A lot of used computers end up in our country. The ones which are operable are sold as second hand and the ones that are not operable are dismantled and the chemicals and other things are reused. But the dismantling process here is very very bad, the workers do not get to wear any protective clothing and the the area where this kind of work goes on becomes an environmentally hazardous place. Only a few clever businessmen make a lot of money and the government never takes a look at the plight of the workers. :(:mad:

Chris Pyle

Verified
Feb 19, 2014
I think our house could be the whole recycle center. LOL I have four laptops we do not use, two we do use. Thinking to clear one off and use it for my kitchen cook book. It is Win 2000. One is an XP that has issues. I am not sure what is wrong. I had it going really well and then it slowed down again. One is an itronix , also 2000, that was working great. I used it to take minutes on it when I was the city clerk. It has a clean install except for these old minutes and they can be quickly removed. The one thing wrong it is is missing a dll?? I forget now what I tried to down load and it said it could not do so. It is one of those water proof machines. I heard people like to use them for GPS some thing and install them in their cars?? It is small and heavy as heck and has a carrying handle. The other machine is a Toughbook CF 50. Works great is is just another win 2000. Too old for a lot of internet stuff. All these machines have been plugged in so their cmos batteries have not died a sudden death. I would love for these machines to go away. I just do not want some one doing some thing with the information that could be taken from them. suggestions? I did give two other laptops away last year. they were old win 98's

Chris Pyle

Verified
Feb 19, 2014
I will have to figure out how to do that. After I remove anything I want to keep from them. I have some pictures, I think I have worked through them but would want to double check. Great idea. Thanks

Shaun

Level 2
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
I think our house could be the whole recycle center. LOL I have four laptops we do not use, two we do use. Thinking to clear one off and use it for my kitchen cook book. It is Win 2000. One is an XP that has issues. I am not sure what is wrong. I had it going really well and then it slowed down again. One is an itronix , also 2000, that was working great. I used it to take minutes on it when I was the city clerk. It has a clean install except for these old minutes and they can be quickly removed. The one thing wrong it is is missing a dll?? I forget now what I tried to down load and it said it could not do so. It is one of those water proof machines. I heard people like to use them for GPS some thing and install them in their cars?? It is small and heavy as heck and has a carrying handle. The other machine is a Toughbook CF 50. Works great is is just another win 2000. Too old for a lot of internet stuff. All these machines have been plugged in so their cmos batteries have not died a sudden death. I would love for these machines to go away. I just do not want some one doing some thing with the information that could be taken from them. suggestions? I did give two other laptops away last year. they were old win 98's

I'm much the same I collect old ones and reuse the parts for upgrades or even extra storage or as a secondary computer.

You never know when a hardware fault might occur so I have lots of spares. I shall survive the apocalypse by building a robot from spare PC's.

MUHAHAHAHAH.

Reactions: Chris Pyle

Chris Pyle

Verified
Feb 19, 2014
I was thinking of trying to do a new install on the 0ld XP. I have the disks. It is a dell so I should be able to get the drivers. See if that gets shed of the problem we were having with it. Although I did read on the Dell site this model should be put to rest. D610. Right now I just do not have time. In fact I must get moving this AM. The day and sunny weather is getting away from me.

Chris

D

Deleted member 178

when i had many desktop part i created a whole network in my room with many screens, then i play the computer guy in "Matrix" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.