Advice Request What happens when you type your own IP address into a browser?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
When I connect my VPN it reports my current IP address. Curious, I typed it in to Safari and DDG a few times with and without a VPN to see what would happen.

On each occasion it pretty well disappeared up its own backside and timed-out. Disappointing but at the same time, slightly reassuring.

Currently bored out of my tiny little mind, I was wondering what other folk’s expectations vs. reality were.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
That's because your firewall dropped the unsolicited connection request.

By default most router firewalls and Windows firewall will drop all inbound connection attempts if they are not a response to an outbound connection.

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
unless you are running a service you expect, the answer should be something like

1649964100560.png

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Ok, repeated the same exercise but, this time using my iPhone on 4g, no VPN to buzz my iPad on wifi with VPN. Same result. I would have expected at least some sort of connection as, technically, they are independent devices, net’wise.

Leads me to the question, what use is it to naughty people knowing my IP address and why the need for secrecy?

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Ok, repeated the same exercise but, this time using my iPhone on 4g, no VPN to buzz my iPad on wifi with VPN. Same result. I would have expected at least some sort of connection as, technically, they are independent devices, net’wise.

Leads me to the question, what use is it to naughty people knowing my IP address and why the need for secrecy?
Because they can hammer you with traffic to cause denial of service. Or constantly hit you with known exploits until they find one that your equipment is vulnerable to. If you keep your networking equipment and operating system up to date the second is a low risk, but not impossible. And lastly you can be geolocated by your IP address, to some extent. It doesn’t need to be secret, but nobody you aren’t already connecting to really needs your IP address either.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Because they can hammer you with traffic to cause denial of service. Or constantly hit you with known exploits until they find one that your equipment is vulnerable to. If you keep your networking equipment and operating system up to date the second is a low risk, but not impossible. And lastly you can be geolocated by your IP address, to some extent. It doesn’t need to be secret, but nobody you aren’t already connecting to really needs your IP address either.

Excellent explanation, thanks. Makes perfect sense now. Well, that’s my lesson for the day.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.