Question What is more secure, desktop Linux or Windows?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which is more secure, Windows or Linux?

• Windows

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Linux

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
There are low-level and high-level systems. The low level means that the system is direct with the hardware. The high level is normalized, and there is an intermediary between the hardware and the system. When you install linux and windows at the same time. Linux is prioritized in the system and it is he who gives the pass to windows to work. It uses grub which is the linux launcher to allow me to start windows.
This is wrong on so many levels. Where did you read this stuff? If I were you I would just block that website where you read it, cause it's garbage (the website I mean).

And to answer the original question, assuming the condition just out of box like a avg user would, I would say Linux.
Edit: Linux most due to very low % of users make it less profitable for bad guys.

Last edited:

Stenographers

Level 2
Thread author
Nov 11, 2022
Yes, that's what I mean by encapsulated, isolated, there is no access to the kernel, for a normal user. The kernel is isolated and protected. Regardless of the existence of vulnerabilities, which every system has.
Greetings.
I’ve tried to be nice, but you don’t know what you’re talking about. Provide documentation from Microsoft to back up what you’re saying

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Yes, that's what I mean by encapsulated, isolated, there is no access to the kernel, for a normal user. The kernel is isolated and protected. Regardless of the existence of vulnerabilities, which every system has.
Greetings.
Windows is not a monolithic kernel operating system, it's a hybrid one, protection of kernel alone wouldn't achieve anything, it also needs to protect user space too. The restricted access systems do exist where both kernel and user space are isolated and locked down and you usually see them in ATM s where user has no permission to change file systems. But it's impractical in regular use. So your argument that " kernel is isolated and protected hence windows is more secure" does not inspire confidence.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Windows is not a monolithic kernel operating system, it's a hybrid one, protection of kernel alone wouldn't achieve anything, it also needs to protect user space too. The restricted access systems do exist where both kernel and user space are isolated and locked down and you usually see them in ATM s where user has no permission to change file systems. But it's impractical in regular use. So your argument that " kernel is isolated and protected hence windows is more secure" does not inspire confidence.

Kernel protection apart from being ineffective (malware authors still gain kernel access mostly via BYOVD abuse), is far from being sufficient. Malware can do a lot even in user mode. Linux is a lot more secure for various reasons, including but not limited to:
  1. Very frequent updates that are not known to be nightmare - users more likely to install them and patch the vulnerabilities, whereas on Windows many users just don't dare obtain that last update as they are not sure what will stop working this time.
  2. Small market share - lack of incentive.
  3. Usually if you have heard about, installed and using Linux, it means you are a geek and you are less likely to be tricked into executing malware.
  4. Lack of cracked software on torrents, enough software for day to day usage either pre-installed or available with few clicks for free.
There are various security mitigations in systems like Ubuntu as well, just like there are in Windows and Mac OS. More can be read here:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.