Advice Request What is the best offline Malware scanner and Remover (not cloud engine) with top detection rate?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

D

Deleted member 65228

First off, there's no best on-demand scanner. Performance and detection ratio will vary constantly because each vendor has different resources, different team members, different encounters with malware in the wild, different shifts, etc.

Secondly, you can use 2 on-demand scanners if you'd like. Some people even use three or four, but I'd say one or two is enough.

I like HitmanPro (HMP and Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) (of course unless you're already using HitmanPro.Alert which has an anti-malware engine or Emsisoft Anti-Malware), and after this my preference would be Zemana Anti-Malware (Free) and Norton Power Eraser/Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free).

Zemana Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free versions) supports on-demand scanning. You could use one or two and setup scheduled scanning, or run a scan quickly each week.

Many people started to dislike Malwarebytes after they tried to become a full AV replacement but I still like them, but their scanner is very slow even for me and my system resources are powerful. The fastest scanners I've seen though (for me) which are still extremely effective would be HMP and EEK.

Only thing is HMP uses the Bitdefender engine and so does EEK alongside their own engines as well. HMP also uses the Kaspersky engine and I believe another one.

KillerSpy007

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 29, 2017
First off, there's no best on-demand scanner. Performance and detection ratio will vary constantly because each vendor has different resources, different team members, different encounters with malware in the wild, different shifts, etc.

Secondly, you can use 2 on-demand scanners if you'd like. Some people even use three or four, but I'd say one or two is enough.

I like HitmanPro (HMP and Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) (of course unless you're already using HitmanPro.Alert which has an anti-malware engine or Emsisoft Anti-Malware), and after this my preference would be Zemana Anti-Malware (Free) and Norton Power Eraser/Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free).

Zemana Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free versions) supports on-demand scanning. You could use one or two and setup scheduled scanning, or run a scan quickly each week.

Many people started to dislike Malwarebytes after they tried to become a full AV replacement but I still like them, but their scanner is very slow even for me and my system resources are powerful. The fastest scanners I've seen though (for me) which are still extremely effective would be HMP and EEK.

Only thing is HMP uses the Bitdefender engine and so does EEK alongside their own engines as well. HMP also uses the Kaspersky engine and I believe another one.
But HMP and Zemana AM have cloud engines.. so they are not offline! I perhaps will not have data connection everytime to scan! Need offline scanners with strong signatures

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Did you check if your/clients Primary AV vendor provides an offline scanner tool, or rescue disk (ISO for CD/USB)?

Emsisoft | Emergency Kit: Free Portable Malware Scan and Removal
> Large download (approx. 300 MB)
> Extract to desired location
> Update definitions on first run

Malware Removal Tool 2018 | Free Cleaning Essentials from Comodo
> Importing Antivirus Database
> Download Latest Additions - Comodo Anti-Malware Database

Help protect my PC with Windows Defender Offline
> Runs scan before Windows
> Offline included in Windows 10

Source: When Do I Need to Use an Offline Malware Scanner?
"If both primary and second opinion scanners fail to detect a threat that you are confident still remains on your system, then it might be time to employ an offline antimalware scanner."

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I would say Norton Power Eraser if by best you mean the most aggressive/high detection rate. Even slightly suspicious files and programs are going to fall victim and you need to know if those files are truly malicious or you will break some of the software you have installed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.