What is the Best Program for Encrypting Files to Cloud Storage?

Do you always encrypt your files before uploading to your preferred Cloud Storage Provider?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I was using One Drive and recently moved my files to Google Drive. I have been using a program known as CryptSync to encrypt and protect my files uploaded to the Cloud of my choice for almost two years now.

Very simple. Author claims he uses 7Zip to encrypt and compress the files. I do not know if this is the best method.

That being said, I am looking for a possible simple alternative that is very effective. Any recommendations?

I have been reading that being that these Cloud Storage services can be hacked, it is suggested to encrypt before uploading files.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I don't encrypt them because i usually don't put anything important on the cloud services. When sometimes have to put something important then i encrypt it with veracrypt.
2 step authentication will protect my files from the normal scenarios of abuse.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
@SearchLight you need to think about how you phrase your answers, this is another one I can't check… :p

I use Dropbox and don't encrypt anything, because there is no way to decrypt stuff on my iOS devices. I trust their security against malicious attackers, but I absolutely don't trust their security in the privacy department. Yet it doesn't matter, because I don't store any relevant documents on it, just like @frogboy. :)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I never encrypt files before uploading them to the cloud, but I only upload files that are not so important or that are not personal files like music or videos. I tried out multiple cloud services over the years, but now I'm not storing much on the cloud anymore and I closed most of my accounts. Only Dropbox for school things and PCloud for entertainment stuff are the ones that are left (both the free variants). They are big names, so I'm not really worried about their security and like I said these are not files that contain personal information.
Really important files are not stored on the cloud, but on a separate USB or HDD as a backup and only if needed (which is very rare in my case) , I encrypt them.

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
I'm using Kruptos 2 Professional for encrypting stuff that goes to the cloud, especially the right click menu
with "send encrypted copy to Google Drive (or any other cloud)" is a must have for me.

If only a NAS wasn't that expensive...:rolleyes:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Is there any encryption software that works both in Windows and Android? Right now I don't use any encryption software because I need to access and sometimes edit and save my files on Android devices.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I don't encrypt my data for cloud storage since it usually isn't really important stuff. Majority of the stuff I put on Google Drive I wouldn't blink an eye if it was accidentally deleted. :p

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I use Syncovery which zips and encrypts with AES-265 (and optionally encrypt file names) and syncs to most cloud services.

For manual file encryption (including optional filename encryption) prior to cloud upload, I use 2BrightSpark's freeware tool, Encrypt On Click (AES-256). Alternately 7zip handles this as well.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Same as many here.I don't upload important or personal stuff online. So no need to encrypt :) But if for some reason you need encryption, and want to make things simple, you can use softwares like Winzip to compress and protect with military grade encryption.
Remember though in the case of hacking for example, if someone gets your data, these guys out there have the resources, methods and time to break through the security and encryption that you've put in place. So better know, and choose what you backup online.

Reactions: Fritz

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I am trying out Boxcryptor for my Cloud encryption. So far so good.

I agree any good cyber criminal could probably break "any" encryption but I am not talking about CIA grade materials but backups of documents that I want to make sure I retain in the event my mechanical hard drives fail. I have not migrated yet to SSD. I do have image backup programs but I would rather have the security of knowing that in worst case scenario, my documents are still readily available at the Cloud.

As always, no security guarantees 100% but like they say, the better the lock, and the harder it is to break, maybe it will deter potential thieve to go after easier targets, and forget mine. Hence, my use of Cloud encryption, as a deterrence imho.

Another thing to keep in mind, that besides using software designed to encrypt and decrypt files on your pc via your Cloud Folder, there is another alternative to consider, using a reliable Cloud Service that puts emphasis on Privacy and Security. In this case, the encryption and decryption is transparent using their propietary desktop or smartphone software.

I would be remiss, if I did not add that using Cloud Encryption does have its pitfalls, too. So it is advisable that you read up on the topic, and the related software pros and cons to see if the protection that it provides meets your needs.

I am providing two links that I found browsing that made me think about using Cloud Encryption in the first place:

Selecting an Encryption Method for Cloud Storage

Best Free Encryption Utility for Cloud Storage

Hope this helps:).

Last edited:

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
I use two cloud services.

1. Mediafire. Was a good deal, but I only upload non important stuff
2. Jungle Disk using Rackspace storage. Here I will upload important data, not encrypting my self.

What's the difference. I've done something no one has mentioned. I've read there terms of service.

MediaFire, like almost all the data services, essentially guarantee you nothing.

Jungle disk when storing on Rackspace(Jungle Disk is a subsidiary of Rackspace) makes a flat guarntee. If you upload data using their software and use a secure password, they guarantee, that a) your data will not be lost, and b) no one including themselves will be able to access. c) even should it be stolen no one will be able to access it.

Also I've talked with their support people. They have taken the same care with their facilities. TO enter you need a) a badge, but also you have to pass biometric identification. Only people with the correct ID can access the actual data centers. The support people like the guy I talked to can't. Physically the data is spread to location that are most geologically stable.

There data centers have a 3 level firewall system. The first stage is fairly simple. It's main purpose is to alert them someone may be attempting a breach. The triggers a heighten look at stage 2. They feel stage 2 is pretty darn tight, but if anything is detected there, the stage 3 locks down the system. All access is blocked.

This is why I am comfortable with them, but you have to really check it out. Can't just rely on marketing material.

Pete

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
May I ask what happens if you encrypt data for long term storage but then the program that you used to encrypt the files becomes unavailable or defunct. I could see that being a problem if you try to access something after 5-10 years and one of the above encryption programs no longer exists.

Reactions: mlnevese and shmu26

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I use Arqbackup to encrypt my backups when uploaded to the cloud. But the down side is that you have to restore the file son your computer if you want to access them again and this is mainly used as a backup program rather than an encryption program.

Boxcryptor is the best solution if you want to be able to access the files on the go as well because they have mobile applications as well that let you decrypt your information on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.