Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I'm looking a light config for this laptop:
-AMD Single-Core E-240
-RAM DDR3 de 1GB (1 DIMM)
-AMD Radeon HD 6310M up to 373 M

The config must be free, I'm speccially looking for a light browser and light AV or some other config for example I don't know how to proper install Voodoshield because I think there will cause much annoying to the user.

I've tried Firefox and Avast free (only file and web shield) and seems not to be enough, just opening 1 youtube tab on firefox go easy to 100% in the cpu.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
What is the operating system. No matter the operating system, IEexplorer will probably be the lightest. Security will depend on the operating system.

Last edited:
Reactions: bribon77

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
mmm the lightest thing that is with us.
AV: comodo cloud (you could leave only the sanbox car if you see that it is very heavy ..... or bitdefender free until sophos but depends on the pc.
browser: opera.
pdf reader: sumatra.
Mp3 player: aimp

make sure you have nothing on automatic start.

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
No, I have checked, it has 3 gb of RAM, that was a copy paste from the model, seems to be wrong or is not the right model, sorry, the user don't know and don't want linux, that I was thinking, thanks anyway

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
3gb is still small for 64 bits, but it changes a lot.
Not your pc so the best would be an ultra novice AV .... I hate to admit it but bitdefender free would be the best option.
maybe immunet or kas free ....
avast if you want your customer to see XD purchase advertising ..

sophos needs online configuration so I discard it ..

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
He may find Linux Mint a lot easier to adapt to ?
Thanks but I don't know if you understand me, the user deny to use linux, is from old school, even don't want a new machine because don't want windows 10, I don't know how to describe this kind of user. Just saying that other OS than Win 7 is not possible. I'm testing bitdefender free...

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
haha me if I understood you .. you need something ultra noob XD style ..

how about the vlc player is not too heavy ..

Reactions: Huchim

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Yeah, I have already installed vlc and seems to be fine, the problem is mainly the browser and the security: some AV or other free alternatives

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
let me suggest you something
- keep the same configuration: firefox and avast
- remove avast's web shield and install avira browser safety for firefox (then, click on the icon -> settings -> disable all options) or norton safe web (much lighter but a little bit weaker and more prone to false positives). I'm an avast fan but seriously, I hate avast's webshield because it consumes way too much CPU compared to the others. especially during download
- install h264ify for firefox (an extension) which will significantly reduce CPU usage while watching youtube on youtube.com or other websites which use youtube

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
mmm the lightest thing that is with us.
AV: comodo cloud (you could leave only the sanbox car if you see that it is very heavy ..... or bitdefender free until sophos but depends on the pc.
browser: opera.
pdf reader: sumatra.
Mp3 player: aimp

make sure you have nothing on automatic start.
Comodo cloud AV uses too much CPU. If you disable the sandbox, all you have left is the AV component, which is extremely poor protection.

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Use Windows XP, Opera (sandboxed with sandboxie free), MPC-HC, BD free (has web filtering too).

Reactions: Parsh

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Use Windows XP, Opera (sandboxed with sandboxie free), MPC-HC, BD free (has web filtering too).
Hardly you can mitigate attacks on XP because the major unresolved vulnerabilities are at the kernel level.

Sandboxie does what it can but just a simple port scanning using an attack via TCP/IP packets, for example, would be devastating.

Windows XP is a honeypot for malware and attackers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.