What is the lightest config?

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
An anti-exploit could be more convenient and easier and using XP might give him future compatibility issues and make the client's life harder in the long run.
What kind of comparability issues? This is a single core AMD system so I assume maximum thing to do there is just browsing the web or listening to local media files.

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hardly you can mitigate attacks on XP because the major unresolved vulnerabilities are at the kernel level.

Sandboxie does what it can but just a simple port scanning using an attack via TCP/IP packets, for example, would be devastating.

Windows XP is a honeypot for malware and attackers.

I think this is just a very paranoid way of thinking, that basic user won't go around looking to download a crack for fifa 18.
I know people have allergy for something old and unsupported like XP, which is true to some extent, but then, we're here talking about a single core "AMD" system, and imo, it's best to use Unix (BSD or a lighter Linux), but then again the OP's wants only Windows.

And yet, the kind of attacks you mentioned can still infect a Windows 10 system. Win10 isn't bullet-proof, for a quick example UAC can be bypassed easily from Win7 to 10.

Reactions: Behold Eck

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I think this is just a very paranoid way of thinking, that basic user won't go around looking to download a crack for fifa 18.
I know people have allergy for something old and unsupported like XP, which is true to some extent, but then, we're here talking about a single core "AMD" system, and imo, it's best to use Unix (BSD or a lighter Linux), but then again the OP's wants only Windows.

And yet, the kind of attacks you mentioned can still infect a Windows 10 system. Win10 isn't bullet-proof, for a quick example UAC can be bypassed easily from Win7 to 10.
You said your opinion, I am telling you the facts.
No one would suggest XP nowadays, for no reason.
But go for it if you want.

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
You said your opinion, I am telling you the facts.
No one would suggest XP nowadays, for no reason.
But go for it if you want.
"for no reason" OK.
I'm sure the OP's wants their system to just "run" not to sit and watch it lag for hours just because "no one would suggest XP".
I wouldn't go for it. as I said I would suggest to go for FreeBSD for example instead of XP, but that's not what the OP's want.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
"for no reason" OK.
I'm sure the OP's wants their system to just "run" not to sit and watch it lag for hours just because "no one would suggest XP".
I wouldn't go for it. as I said I would suggest to go for FreeBSD for example instead of XP, but that's not what the OP's want.
I think the OP wants a secure system, first of all.

It is clear that a privilege escalation at kernel level is much more likely on a system with unpatched kernel like XP, at this point.
No one is saying that Windows 10 is immune from attacks, but realistically you can't compare Win 10 to XP and this is a fact.

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I think the OP wants a secure system, first of all.

It is clear that a privilege escalation at kernel level is much more likely on a system with unpatched kernel like XP, at this point.

No one is saying that Windows 10 is immune from attacks, but realistically you can't compare Win 10 to XP and this is a fact.

A secure but unresponsive system?

I'm aware of XP being an open door to attacks, so does every Windows version, BUT! each newer version closes the door a bit on a specific attack. So if you want a more secure and light system go for Linux/BSD.

I obviously wasn't comparing both.

OP provided enough info that tells me Win7 didn't run well, and they won't go for any system other than Windows, so I suggested that unpopular idea of trying XP.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
The config i am using on my netbook (single core, 2gb ram, win7 32-bit) is not entirely free but is very light.
I don't use any AV as no matter the lightest or not, AV is always gonna take RAM & CPU which can be very useful in other tasks especially on a low-end PC.
Chrome does take a lot of time loading the extensions so i switched to firefox and yes it is very CPU heavy but after 3 tabs, i sincerely think it is lighter than chrome. Viewing video on youtube does take it's toll on the CPU but it is worth it as when viewing video people tend to do single task so 100% CPU can be tolerated as long as video doesn't freeze. This is what i do.

My config is:

VoodooShield
HitmanPro.Alert
Zemana (Free, Portable)
Firefox (latest) with Addons - Adguard, HTTPS Everywhere & NoScript
K-lite Mega Codec with MPC-HC
Sumatra (Portable)

Everything else portable.

Win7 is fully updated. Only VS & HMP.A in startup so booting is fast for me.

Last edited:

Huchim

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
let me suggest you something
- keep the same configuration: firefox and avast
- remove avast's web shield and install avira browser safety for firefox (then, click on the icon -> settings -> disable all options) or norton safe web (much lighter but a little bit weaker and more prone to false positives). I'm an avast fan but seriously, I hate avast's webshield because it consumes way too much CPU compared to the others. especially during download
- install h264ify for firefox (an extension) which will significantly reduce CPU usage while watching youtube on youtube.com or other websites which use youtube
If I set norton dns would be better? I'm testing bitdefender free but it seems a bit heavy too in this machine, considering no AV

Thank you sir, I'm adding this tweaks.

I was thinking at some point in XP, I'm keeping Win 7 due its legal licence OEM and seems to be fine if no AV is installed, in terms of security is whole better than XP, some applications will be unsoported and will be a problem, you are right I'm looking for the lightest config, with a sense of security of course, thanks for your opinion.

Reactions: shukla44

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
i dont think there is anything with EST ( best the lightest the greatest etc) at all but you can try a few and decide among them. what works for me does not for your computer. Suggestions
Panda Paid products are super light and effective
Bullguard IS is very light and very effective
As per free Panda fre AV MBAM and Superantispywhare free and Emsisoft Kit
Firewall; either Comodo or Zonealarm i would go with Comodo it has good HIPS and you need it
Back up something with free Macrium .

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
If I set norton dns would be better?
maybe, you can try
It still think the extension is better because it can block malicious downloads
I don't know if the DNS can but I think it's unlikely

Reactions: shukla44

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Light, free and efficient setup on XP:
- Kerio FW free 2.1.5 and Seconfig XP for network access controll
- GeSWall 2.9.2 Free...policy sandboxed based HIPS enough event in default settings
- Secure Folders as files/folders protection and anti-exe...or just NVT ERP
- on demand Toolwiz Timer Freeze (light virtualisation) for specific activities.

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
How can you guys recommend Windows XP when Microsoft no longer maintenance and updates XP. That is beyond my mind. When I'm thinking of XP a lot of bells jingles in my head! It doesn't matter if you are using a software that still supports XP. The main problem is that Microsoft has stopped providing support for XP. If you are using Windows XP then you are vulnerable to security risks, threats and viruses. If you are still using XP, get as fast as possible a new operating system. If your PC can't handle other Windows systems then try out Linux or some other alternatives.

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
is a basic user
You think you know it's a sanbox ... No ..
Hopefully they get on facebook or see their email ..
It is very little likely to be affected by dangerous things or 0 day.

The AVs generate cache in their first use .... I recommend a complete scan and there is a comparison of their performance.

A basic av is sufficient .. kasperky free could be, panda faith or immunet .. I do not think it is necessary web protection since it would detect when running ..

DNS server of comodo or norton (depends on the zone of use) are an excellent alternative ..

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I would certainly stay away of outdated, not-supported Windows versions. No matter what security config you use.

Aforementioned, i would stick with a fresh, light, GNU/Linux disto. I've heard good things related to performance on both Puppy Linux and Lubuntu. There are always ways to customize it to make it look like Windows.

If you truly do not want to Linux, then opt for some light version of Windows 7. I've found things about modified version of this OS to make it lighter. Do not know how secure they are tho.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I would certainly stay away of outdated, not-supported Windows versions. No matter what security config you use.

Aforementioned, i would stick with a fresh, light, GNU/Linux disto. I've heard good things related to performance on both Puppy Linux and Lubuntu. There are always ways to customize it to make it look like Windows.

If you truly do not want to Linux, then opt for some light version of Windows 7. I've found things about modified version of this OS to make it lighter. Do not know how secure they are tho.
Puppy linux is fast but difficult to install. The easiest would be lubuntu, and I say with the hadward you have I don't think it will do difficult things, it will be watching a video youtube chat and a little more, I think with Lubuntu is enough.

Reactions: frogboy

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Windows 7 on single core, its not much more on system then Windows XP, so I'd stick to 7, and buy more RAM if possible.

Best AV options on low CPU/RAM,
Avast free, Panda free

Also... Kaspersky Free and Bitdefender free has no adds or bloats. .
Comodo Firewall + Windows Defender ON also might be good.

Free to use Programs I suggest to speed things up,
Jetboost (no longer updated) = JetBoost | Ensures Top Performance for Your PC, Free Download
CPU Balance or Process Lasso = Bitsum. Real-time CPU Optimization and Automation Software for Windows

Linux is a nice option but besides Lubuntu and a few others its heavier then 7 now, in the CPU demand.
Also if you run Windows only programs, Linux isnt the best choice... because, using Wine is a hit or miss.

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
How can you guys recommend Windows XP when Microsoft no longer maintenance and updates XP. That is beyond my mind. When I'm thinking of XP a lot of bells jingles in my head! It doesn't matter if you are using a software that still supports XP. The main problem is that Microsoft has stopped providing support for XP. If you are using Windows XP then you are vulnerable to security risks, threats and viruses. If you are still using XP, get as fast as possible a new operating system. If your PC can't handle other Windows systems then try out Linux or some other alternatives.
Hi guys...first I didn't recommend XP as safe system...I only have recommended a combo of security apps that can make it quite secure without incompatibilities, instabilities but with a lot of features that gives strong protection. If you make some restrictions on system's areas, on specific apps, if you use LV to avoid unwanted system changes you can still use XP...as me since years.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.