What is this file?

C

CySecy825

Thread author
What is this.PNG I have This same file every single folder in my pc

and if i remember right i installed Kompas av and when i removed it then this left in pc this. but i want confirm is
this file important?

Thanks All For Helping me:)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Sometimes this file appears on my pc after Norton scan.
From my experience if you delete it you wont have any problem.
I delete it just a few days ago.
If you don't want to delete it you can do this
Open file explorer -> click on View -> Options -> change folder and search options
On the tab Folder options select View and then select << Don't show hidden files,folders or drives>>.
Click Apply and then ok and the file will disappear from your desktop.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Probably not dangerous, have seen this one over and over, appearing in music folders, on external drives (where for example music is backupped to)...

Using Desktop.ini Files
Folders are normally displayed with the standard folder icon. A common use of the Desktop.ini file is to assign a custom icon or thumbnail image to a folder. You can also use Desktop.ini to create an infotip that displays information about the folder and controls some aspects of the folder's behavior, such as specifying localized names for the folder or items in the folder.

Taken from: How to Customize Folders with Desktop.ini (Windows)

I guess it had the information saved on how Kompas icon is to be displayed :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I forgot to mention that after i deleted this file Norton Security want's to sign in again
so i think that @harlan4096's post is correct.
No problem at deleting it but maybe you will lose some settings.
Personally i have deleted it and haven't seen any problem except from sign in to Norton;)

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Regarding desktop.ini:

As far as I know, when some antivirus programs detect something suspicious (for example, the samples that you download from the malware hub), they will perform their repair routine, no matter whether it is essential or not.

One step they like to take in their repair routine is to disable the option "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)". This will make many protected OS files become visible, including desktop.ini.

In my own tests, the following antivirus programs have this issue:
  • McAfee
  • Norton
  • TrendMicro
In addition, I ever heard the following antivirus programs also have this issue, but I have not reproduced it:
  • Bitdefender

To solve this problem, we only need to enable the option "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)". More specifically, we only need to check the bottom checkbox in the following screenshot:

folder-options.jpg

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its not a malicious at all, usually AV flags when you encounter through USB attacks since its a configuration file where the code may replicate an attack directory unlike the actual purpose which only serves as cache file.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.