Troubleshoot What is wrong with Firefox!!

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Today I wanted to test Process Hacker's replacement, System Informer and I was stunned to see in the

Network tab over 130 ports used by Firefox ..... program that wasn't running at the time, I didn't even open it today.

Is this normal behavior?

I also tested Brave but there were no more than 40 ports (maybe) and that's if it runs, if I close it, no ports appear.

Firefox is the official build 115.0.1 - 64 bit with uBlock, TrafficLight, Skip Redirect, Cookie AutoDelete and CSS Exfill Protection in Strict Mode, no other tweaks.

Attachments

• Firefox 1.JPG
    Firefox 1.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Firefox 2.JPG
    Firefox 2.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Firefox 3.JPG
    Firefox 3.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 117
Solution
I have uninstalled it and will restore to an image just to be sure, I hope they fix this bug because it sure is a bug since 2 other programs report just the opposite...
Process Hacker has been very useful in the past and I was hoping to replace it.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It is not normal for Firefox to be using over 130 ports when it is not running. This behavior might indicate a problem with the browser or a potential security issue. You could try troubleshooting by disabling some of the add-ons to see if any of them are causing the excessive port usage. Additionally, you may consider running a malware scan on your system to ensure there are no unauthorized activities.

Upvote -1

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
@cryogent maybe there is something wrong on this tool "System Informer" where did you download it, from the homepage? System Informer

You can try also this tool to check and compare... TCPView (Sysinternals) there you can see also ports related to Firefox:

FF.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cryogent

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Yep is definitely something wrong with this app regarding network reports, both TCPView and last ProcessHacker don't see anything if Firefox is closed.

"Did you got also this file? systeminformer-setup.exe VirusTotal 13/70 including Symantec: ML.Attribute.HighConfidence" - Yes, why?

Agree as either that or as the Bot mentioned, the addons. Disable them and restart the browser and check again.
With or without addons this app show the same thing..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.