Advice Request What is your Ad-Blocking strategy?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I don't know how other members survive Corona lock down. I spend my surplus time by going outdoors more (walking and jogging in a nearby tiny national park) and optimizing my extension and adblocking implementation.

My adblocking strategy:
  1. Adguard DNS

2. Using two different Chromium based browsers one for privacy and one for security
    • Security Browser (currently Edge-Chromium) with
      - Code Integrity Guard protection (Windows Defender)
      - Edge-Chromium anti-tracking in strict mode
      - uBlock Origingin medium mode blocking with no filterlists and
      - (one) my filter rule: HTTP://*^$third-party,~stylesheet,~image,~media
    • Privacy browser (currently Brave): using Adguard with
      - Kees1958 top500 list (link)
      - Depersonalizing Google (link) and (originally Kees1958) LessAlphabet list (link)
      - Hide nuisances on my bookmarked websites (link)
      - my user rule: ||*$ping,cookie=/__utm[a-z]/

Setting up my personal bookmarked websites nuisance list would not have happened without the extra home time due to Corona :) Interested to know whether other members also picked up a tweaking hobby to kill the extra home bound time?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

PiHole + Unbound with DNS root server filter nearly all malware, ads + tracking for all devices in network

Chromium-Edge with Anti Tracking in Strict, SmartScreen + AdGuard with Kees1958 list + uMatrix do the rest :)
I guess I could disable edge anti tracking + SmartScreen without get any disadvantage with my strong setup but I like browser internal solutions

Very lightweight setup on clients without any maintaining. Only my PiHole need some maintenance which is fine for me.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Heard that pi hole has dropped support for AdBlock-style blocklists.

DROPPING ADBLOCK-STYLE BLOCKLISTS IS A "MISTAKE"
"Most of the AdBlock-style filter lists are not supposed to be used in the DNS-level ad-blocking software [like Pi-hole]. They were created specifically for the traditional ad blockers," Meshkov told ZDNet.

"And I think this is why they decided to drop support, they are just tired of people trying to use EasyList or EasyPrivacy in Pi-Hole and then dealing with lots of false positives.

"However, I think this is a mistake. I actually think that AdBlock-style syntax is superior to hosts blocklists, and instead, they should have urged blocklists maintainers to start using it so that there were more proper blocklists," Meshkov added.
Pi-hole drops support for ad blocklists used by browser-based ad-blockers | ZDNet
So my question is whether this has affected blocking ads via pi hole? Is this something to be concerned of?

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Heard that pi hole has dropped support for AdBlock-style blocklists.

Pi-hole drops support for ad blocklists used by browser-based ad-blockers | ZDNet
So my question is whether this has affected blocking ads via pi hole? Is this something to be concerned of?
No. It works good as before.
Adblock style lists never works for PiHole so that doesn't matter

I have 1,5 millions entries in my PiHole. Surfing is very fast and client blocking is very low as this are only elements which can't be blocked over DNS

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Brave built-in adblocking + JS blocking - keeps the web user-friendly, secure, with custom element blocking.

Edge - with super slim µBO built-in filter list + frogeye's 1st party tracking list = < 45,000 filters

Interested to know whether other members also picked up a tweaking hobby to kill the extra home bound time?

Mostly reading up on tracking, fingerprinting, etc. and cruising the Brave Community in an effort to help improve the browser, especially the adblocking/privacy features. Testing extensions.

Part of me feels like I should learn to write custom rules, but I guess I like easy. :D

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I'm into easy. Trying this out now. I have AB tested bitdefender's tracker-blocker and it blocks about the same things as PB, maybe one less here or there. I may use it for a bit to see how it does out of curiosity.

Firefox-
Adguard at defaults
Privacy Badger at defaults
Strict Blocking built in

Chrome -
Adguard at defaults
Privacy Badger at default

Chromium Edge -
Adguard at default
Strict blocking built in

Brave -
Built in shields

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.