What is your favourite forum software?

exCode

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Hey guys, I decided to do a poll about which forum software is your favourite? I am in the midst of making my own forum and though I've used SMF in the past, I decided to use phpBB for a change. I did this because I like the UI of phpBB and also SMF's admin control panel kinda sucks. What do you guys use? Be sure to reply why you chose your answer :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have used MyBB,phpBB,vBulletin and Xenforo.
I preferred vBulletin overMyBB and phpBB for a long time.vBulletin has an excellent ACP and very customizable with a ton of mods.

However Xenforo is the best forum platform I have ever used.You can look at many sites and spot Xenforo immediately.It is very customizable with an excellent ACP.It also comes with a lot of useful features and a good amount of mods.

Of course MyBB and phpBB are free open source forum platforms and sometimes these are more desirable to use when starting a new forum.Once your established and want to move to a paid forum platform I would suggest Xenforo.

Between MyBB and phpBB depends on which you prefer.phpBB has been around longer than MyBB however MyBB had a major upgrade about 5 or 6 years ago with a lot of new features.Personally my choice would be MyBB,I believe MT was on MyBB before Xenforo but I could be wrong :confused:

I would stick with what you like and what you are comfortable using because the that should be the least of your worries starting a new site.

I wish you good luck with your project and if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Ever since I signed up for MT, Xenforo caught my eye - many site are now using this and I can see why. Obviously, being a paid forum software is off putting but I have played around with majority of what I could get my hands on (including Xenforo). I've always looked highly on SMF for being highly configurable and well supported - being free also makes it friendly to those looking to start a site. Was fond of some of the dark themes I could install on it, addons (aka mods), and how speedy it was even on free and sort of slow hosting.

phpBB while it isn't that appealing to me, being free, highly supported, and highly configurable like SMF still makes it very good to start with. Some other sites I've been on use vBulletin and if they are using more modern version, it looks pretty good but like Xenforo, it's paid.

While I don't much care for it, I've seen others like https://vanillaforums.org/ that has a unique look and even a few years ago, it was still well optimized and speedy (and very easy to manual install like SMF and phpBB). It is free for non-commercial use. My vote was for Xenforo but I also highly recommend vBulletin (for paid) and SMF (for free). It's been about 2 years since I actually made anything with forum software so I really can't say too much more. Things change fast.

exCode

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
I have used MyBB,phpBB,vBulletin and Xenforo.
I preferred vBulletin overMyBB and phpBB for a long time.vBulletin has an excellent ACP and very customizable with a ton of mods.

However Xenforo is the best forum platform I have ever used.You can look at many sites and spot Xenforo immediately.It is very customizable with an excellent ACP.It also comes with a lot of useful features and a good amount of mods.

Of course MyBB and phpBB are free open source forum platforms and sometimes these are more desirable to use when starting a new forum.Once your established and want to move to a paid forum platform I would suggest Xenforo.

Between MyBB and phpBB depends on which you prefer.phpBB has been around longer than MyBB however MyBB had a major upgrade about 5 or 6 years ago with a lot of new features.Personally my choice would be MyBB,I believe MT was on MyBB before Xenforo but I could be wrong :confused:

I would stick with what you like and what you are comfortable using because the that should be the least of your worries starting a new site.

I wish you good luck with your project and if you have any questions feel free to ask :)
This is all really helpful, thanks! I think I'm going to try phpBB first and maybe if my site takes off, think about getting a copy of Xenforo. Thanks again!

exCode

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Ever since I signed up for MT, Xenforo caught my eye - many site are now using this and I can see why. Obviously, being a paid forum software is off putting but I have played around with majority of what I could get my hands on (including Xenforo). I've always looked highly on SMF for being highly configurable and well supported - being free also makes it friendly to those looking to start a site. Was fond of some of the dark themes I could install on it, addons (aka mods), and how speedy it was even on free and sort of slow hosting.

phpBB while it isn't that appealing to me, being free, highly supported, and highly configurable like SMF still makes it very good to start with. Some other sites I've been on use vBulletin and if they are using more modern version, it looks pretty good but like Xenforo, it's paid.

While I don't much care for it, I've seen others like https://vanillaforums.org/ that has a unique look and even a few years ago, it was still well optimized and speedy (and very easy to manual install like SMF and phpBB). It is free for non-commercial use. My vote was for Xenforo but I also highly recommend vBulletin (for paid) and SMF (for free). It's been about 2 years since I actually made anything with forum software so I really can't say too much more. Things change fast.
Thanks for your reply. I see Xenforo is a popular one. I can agree SMF is definitely customizable, I just don't like how the ACP is, and how all the mod makers work for some company that sometimes charges for their mods.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.