What is Your Favourite Internet Security Suite?

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
For me it's ESET Internet Security. It's lightweight, unobstrusive and has no impact on the performance on my PC. Not to mention the detection rates that is Superb. I just wish it had a rollback feature and application control like Kaspersky.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Why nobody says Microsoft? :p
They offer: antivirus, antimalware, antiexploit, firewall, network protection, reputation service, attack surface reduction... and all for free :ROFLMAO:
TRUE my friend. I should have given Microsoft a chance but then again I remembered that Windows is the only OS(that I know) which supports exe(the common format of malwares) files. So no free lunch for you, my windows :p

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sorry if I am wrong but aren't the Symantec brand and Endpoint Protection meant for servers and workstations?
SEP is intended primarily for a business environment where the IT guy manages multiple PCs, but you could use it as a single user on a regular PC if you want to. You pay a few dollars a month for the subscription.

D

Deleted member 178

Sorry if I am wrong but aren't the Symantec brand and Endpoint Protection meant for servers and workstations?
SEP is intended primarily for a business environment where the IT guy manages multiple PCs, but you could use it as a single user on a regular PC if you want to. You pay a few dollars a month for the subscription.
As he said, SEP if properly set is way stronger than any options in tbe poll.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Simple looking at the hub tests and improvement over these years:
G Data , Kaspersky, Trend
Reason: G data, Kaspersky --> maintain clean status against most of the tests we threw at it(I did a lot of nasty ground work especially with these both) , Modules are signature independent, Very good balanced protection, Fp's are minimal, Last but not least both of these guys have very good IT security background, Sound Knowledge and patents.

Trend: For the improvement it shown over these years, Cost effective, Does the job securely, Intelligent Pro active modules with signatures(mediocore though),
The above products are cost effective, provides optimum security level and not performance eaters> Satisfy all the requirements <
Removing G Data from the poll and introducing CARTOON Av's like Panda, Mcafee doesn't sound good

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The above products are cost effective, provides optimum security level and not performance eaters>
I find that Trend causes very noticeable slowdowns, so it's not something I would ever use, or recommend to others.
Removing G Data from the poll and introducing CARTOON Av's like Panda, Mcafee doesn't sound good
At least Panda doesn't cause any noticeable slowdowns.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
I find that Trend causes very noticeable slowdowns, so it's not something I would ever use, or recommend to others.

At least Panda doesn't cause any noticeable slowdowns.
May be true..but their Home versions are next to obsolete.
Slow down is not a pro for any security products..from my side
i vote for only protection mechanisms..since no AV vendor is that mad at spiking up the resources at least from recent years

Actually, if you closely study Microsoft protection at the Enterprise level, it is protection that can generically be described as multi-layered default deny combined with various detection methods. There is a heavier emphasis upon default deny.

Theoretically, there is trickle-down from the Enterprise to Home level, but in practice what consumers get is an indecipherable mish-mash mess.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

While I think Kaspersky is overall the best and most protective. I cannot, and will not put the Russians inside of my network. Regardless. I have zero trust for Russia, Russians and Russian business ethics. That's after having a CV that lists 3 Russian firms I've worked at. You guys have no idea, it's like the wild west over there, what's good for a Russian is good for a Russian, what's good for you? They don't give it a second thought.. LOL

No question to me though, KAV is a strong, efficient, well done suite so if Russia thing doesn't bug/worry you, go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Simple looking at the hub tests and improvement over these years:
G Data , Kaspersky, Trend
Reason: G data, Kaspersky --> maintain clean status against most of the tests we threw at it(I did a lot of nasty ground work especially with these both) , Modules are signature independent, Very good balanced protection, Fp's are minimal, Last but not least both of these guys have very good IT security background, Sound Knowledge and patents.

Trend: For the improvement it shown over these years, Cost effective, Does the job securely, Intelligent Pro active modules with signatures(mediocore though),
The above products are cost effective, provides optimum security level and not performance eaters> Satisfy all the requirements <
While I haven't tested G-Data myself, I have heard nothing but good things about it and as for Kaspersky, I have tried their 2019 IS and I have to admit that it is wayyyyy faster and lighter than their 2018, heck I will go so far as to say that it is almost at par with ESET IS in terms of lightness.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
May be true..but their Home versions are next to obsolete.
Slow down is not a pro for any security products..from my side
i vote for only protection mechanisms..since no AV vendor is that mad at spiking up the resources at least from recent years
While it depends mainly on PC configuration, I have noticed drastic reduction in system performance while going from ESET 11 to Mcafee Internet Security and from Kaspersky 2019 to BitDefender 2019 and that was with an i5 7600K, 16GB RAM, Win 7 and a 1TB SSD.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

For Proactive Defense, I will always go for Comodo. But if you ever want to upgrade or uninstall, be prepared for a nightmare

Any product without a properly scripted uninstaller does slightly annoy me.. It really isn't all that difficult to construct an installer, they're basically GUI based these days. I used to build uninstallers for a pretty big firm way way back and know how they work. But it's pure laziness when companies don't bother to 'cleanly' uninstall their programs. Side note: I noticed Emsisoft and Cylance are perfect with their uninstallers.

Anyone remember Norton from decades ago? You basically had to wipe your system if you wanted it gone.. Norton to this day, even their commercial ones leave a lot of remnants hiding around, several hundred megs of crap in Program Data, and in your default public user folder. Panda leaves a few things around as well. AVG/Avast are like malware, leaving hidden system processes, tasks to launch hidden processes, etc.

But leaving a directory or two isn't nearly as bad as what Comodo and Avast/AVG do.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Panda Dome @ForgottenSeer 58943 settings right now.
Yes with those settings it will be hard for normal malware to bypass Panda since it will alert on every unknown process execution. Personally I would suggest you to harden you OS with SysHardener portable. It's a one time run and forget tool. Panda and SysHardener make a solid combo in my opinion.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.