What Linux Needs Is Some Good Marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
PCWorld said:
It's been an exciting year for Linux so far, thanks at least in part to the release of Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal," which is shaping up to be the first desktop Linux release targeted squarely at newcomers to the free and open source operating system.

Read more

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Marketing?
Question : If I install Unbutu on my system today ..can I play WOW or Counter Strike?

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Jack said:
Marketing?
Question : If I install Unbutu on my system today ..can I play WOW or Counter Strike?

lol
i think cant, even you use WINE :p
some apps cant run use WINE on ubuntu :)
so, maybe this articel for future about open source OS

silviu_c

Feb 28, 2011
win7holic said:
Jack said:
Marketing?

lol
i think cant, even you use WINE :p
some apps cant run use WINE on ubuntu :)
so, maybe this articel for future about open source OS

I can and do so by using Crossover Games. Download the trial, install WoW , Steam and CS and see how it goes.

PS: People that have no idea about what they are talking about should not really reply. Really.

PPS Speaking (writing) proper English should be mandatory /facepalm

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well more applications are starting to be compatible in Linux and also I encourage people to use Linux.

asrielrusdyawan

May 13, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Well more applications are starting to be compatible in Linux and also I encourage people to use Linux.
It depends on People Will & Courage to take all of the risk when they switch to Open Source OS in this time, we're talking about LINUX OS. For me Linux is still "The Alternative OS ever". Maybe one day it will be one of the Primary OS for the people out there! Hope So!

THX, LJBU!

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Question : If I install Unbutu on my system today... can I play WOW or Counter Strike?
Check WineHQ for a list of games you should be able to play using Wine. Performance and graphics might not be as good as under Windows and setting those games up might require some tweaking. My preference was to dual-boot Windows XP for games. Currently I'm not that much of a gamer anyway.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's why my older brother told me that counter strike works well in Linux.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
As much as I like how open and free linux is.. I think what they need most is stability. I don't mean that the OS is unstable. I mean the OS changes it's files so much that software support from companies would be almost impossible if not cost ineffective.

A good example is the Unreal installer for Linux that uses the old Unreal Gold CD to install the files into Linux using a Linux installer. When I attempted to install it in a more recent version of linux I found that the GTK had long since been updated and the commands the installer used GTK didn't support anymore.

silviu_c

Feb 28, 2011
Shadow Death said:
As much as I like how open and free linux is.. I think what they need most is stability. I don't mean that the OS is unstable. I mean the OS changes it's files so much that software support from companies would be almost impossible if not cost ineffective.

A good example is the Unreal installer for Linux that uses the old Unreal Gold CD to install the files into Linux using a Linux installer. When I attempted to install it in a more recent version of linux I found that the GTK had long since been updated and the commands the installer used GTK didn't support anymore.

Targeting an LTS (long term support) edition would fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.