What makes LINUX so secure when compared to Non Admin Win 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
If you run your programs with UAC max and run it in a non admin account then is LINUX really that much more secure than Win10 and if so why?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
By default Linux distros are more secure than Windows 10, but a full configured W10 machine is a fortress that gives Linux distros and Mac OS X a run for their money.

Device Guard, App Guard, Secure Booting, Virtualization-based security are major Windows 10 security features that are very well done.

Some links for a good reading:

Device Guard deployment guide (Windows 10)

The best new security features of Windows 10

Windows is less secure by default because it needs to be simple and open for every user, most people dont want to deal with Limited User Account, Virtualization, Policy security settings and so on ...

Ps: Windows has a very good firewall and anti exploit features by default, it isnt a coincidence that most malware nowdays needs social engineering to suceed (Ransomwares are another story, but they can be dealt with some settings)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Linux is very secure from what I have heard but if using common sense and using security smarts Windows can be as secure as other OS.

D

Deleted member 178

1- Linux OS and applications are open source so anybody with the proper knowledge can check its integrity.

2- By design Linux accounts are separate entities and not linked to the "root account" (admin). Windows is a single user OS (the admin account) which you can "plug" secondary accounts to it.

3- Linux is layered , Windows since vista tried to replicate Linux with their Integrity levels.

there is many other factors, but those 3 are the most known.

You want security at all cost? you play Linux.
You want user-friendliness and overall compatibilities? you play Windows.

good comparison here : Linux vs Windows (a comparison)

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
1- Linux OS and applications are open source so anybody with the proper knowledge can check its integrity.

2- By design Linux accounts are separate entities and not linked to the "root account" (admin). Windows is a single user OS (the admin account) which you can "plug" secondary accounts to it.

3- Linux is layered , Windows since vista tried to replicate Linux with their Integrity levels.

there is many other factors, but those 3 are the most known.

You want security at all cost? you play Linux.
You want user-friendliness and overall compatibilities? you play Windows.

Well put !
I was just about to write something similar :)

One additional factor is actually not directly to do with Linux ....
.... Malware creators have a much more tempting target with MS ( simply because ~ 90 % of the world is using it )
There's not much mileage for them with Linux

Reactions: Deleted member 178

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
It's not (actually it wasn't) so easy to install new apps to Linux, configure Linux system or modify it's security features. By that, Linux distros are not that popular like Windows is and always was. Just because it's so popular, Windows is exploited much more than Linux ever was.
Nowadays regular computer usage and general productivity quality,by majority of users, is inversely proportional to operating system lockdown...security

Reactions: tonibalas

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Linux has around less than a hundreds of malware referenced, Windows ? millions

Just curious, since it like <hundreds of malware, how 'deadly' is that? Or is it those minor types?

D

Deleted member 178

Both minor and major, but malware writers don't bother much about Linux, the ratio between time spent on writing and benefit returns is very low. Also a big factor is that Linux users are almost all computer geeks so they have the basic security common sense that Windows' users lack; i didn't came across any Linux happy clickers yet. If you are a true beginner , installing and running linux is a very hard task.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: darko999

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
It's not more secure then Windows 10 Non-Admin.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
@Umbra
Since reading the OP I have found a grand total of 42 Linux-specific malware examples .... ever !

Most are old and stale , and the vulnerabilities that were exploited have been well patched long ago.
And it seems to have been mainly servers that were the attack targets anyway .

I thought about WINE ( if installed ) as a possible weakness in Linux , but how could a malicious
program break-out , and infect the Linux system ?
..... it would need to execute chmod -x for itself .... and that would be just for starters !

Last edited:

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Can you give more details please? we would love hear them.

Because it's not, look how most exploits are found (not by code review). Look at Debian OpenSSL or the 28 backspace. Another issue is with repository, once you are trusted you can add what you want. On linux you have to choose between security or stability you can't have both. There are less security tool and once you've got infected there is a small chance that you will know. Also the DDos.Xor [1] Gafgyt [2] and the other drive by download (you don't even need root).

PS: I have packs of linux malware. Linux is not what it used to be, that's why I'm not using it anymore. :)

D

Deleted member 178

On linux you have to choose between security or stability you can't have both.

That is also why i stopped using it; too many compatibility issues.

PS: I have packs of linux malware. Linux is not what it used to be, that's why I'm not using it anymore. :)

I guess with Apparmor , you can protect yourself quite better than letting the distro at default.

Reactions: Myriad and Kate_L

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
By its environment, Linux composed of strong security built in which only advance users can modify the changes.

+ Security holes are fixed immediately unlike Windows where so called 'Tuesday Patch Update' to collect any information throughout the week.

Root is not fully enabled by default in Linux unlike Windows where everything must be convenient. Additionally that many users using the famous one hence its open for attackers.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
That is also why i stopped using it; too many compatibility issues.

I guess with Apparmor , you can protect yourself quite better than letting the distro at default.

There is also Bitdefender for Linux , and ClamAV .
I tried them both and the only thing that they ever flagged was WINE , and I was only testing it
and junked it anyway.

PS - I see from a fellow member's Linux config that Sophos now have free AV for Linux.
I'll give it a spin soon .

@Shran - Thank you for posting !

Reactions: Shran
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.