Feb 23, 2014
This includes
  • All Software

What makes you dislike software?
  • Lack of Support?
  • Features Missing?
  • Ease of Use?
  • Other? Tell us your reason below

Feel free to post the software name & why you dislike it.

*Let the Interesting Thread Start*

Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I stopped using WebRoot because it kept telling me my computer was "Infected" and "At Risk" despite my computer actually being clean, in fact the reason it was displaying these notices was because my trial period was about to expire. I consider it 'bad form' for an antivirus to mislead me in that way, innocent as it may be.

So that is a big put off for me. Also:

* Software that puts additional icons on my desktop (eg: Links to the store, or to buy the software)
* Software that installs clutter that I don't need. For example, installing a full sql server and running the service, when they could just as easily (and efficiently) used SQLite (personal opinion of course)
* Software that displays adverts of any form and frequency (adverts unrelated to the product that is)
I could probably think of much more, when I'm less tired :)

Great thread btw

Last edited:
R

rocky

Security software that can't be trusted to do it's job. I recently installed a security program on a new install of win.7 x86. I had it all set up and sat through the first scan. When I came back the icon wasn't in the tray, so I hit the shortcut on the desktop and it went through installing it self all over. Next morning icon gone again on start. That was enough to wreck it for me I didn't care why or how I just wanted it gone for good. I know it is a isolated case because everyone has nothing but good to say about the program. But I can't ever trust it again. I installed K.I.S. with great results and have since bought licenses for both computers. Great thread by the way. Thanks!

Reactions: Cowpipe and Oxygen

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Free software that forces you to register an account to use their software.
For example: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Antivirus, Bitdefender Free Antivirus, Soluto etc.

Software that bundles or forces their other products during install or post-install. - I'm not talking about Adware installers.
For example: Comodo Internet Security, latest Avira Free Antivirus

Software vendors run by Advertising companies, and vice versa.
For example: Ghostery, Opera, Comodo

---More to add---

Last edited:

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
software is bad if:
- Stop working or show internal errors (obviously).
- Show desktop popups.
- Always remind you buy PRO version.
- Use too much resources without reason.
- Support is null, or slow.
- Install adware.
- Make the system unusable (corruption, bsod...).
- Doesn't delete old instalation files.
- Install other software.

other things that difference normal to good soft:
- Put desktop icon without ask (I hate desktop icons)
- Is instaled in APPDATA
- Promote other software.

Free software that forces you to register an account to use their software.
For example: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Antivirus, Bitdefender Free Antivirus, Soluto etc.

Software that bundles or forces their other products during install or post-install. - I'm not talking about Adware installers.
For example: Comodo Internet Security, latest Avira Free Antivirus

Software vendors run by Advertising companies, and vice versa.
For example: Ghostery, Opera, Comodo

---More to add---

Opera?

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
This is going to be kind of funny but I dislike AVG Antivirus.
Its interface is too complicated for a metro-style UI (metro-style is supposed to be simple?!). It is very hard to remove when uninstalled, random files scattered and processes not deleted.

I agree with this one, AVG is a pain to remove.

what makes me dislike a software
  1. Counter-intuitive interface
  2. Buggy
  3. Slow or poor responsiveness
  4. Prone to crashes
  5. Bloatware
  6. Bundled with lots of crapware
There is a diagnostic tool I used before which presents me with bogus report, like one (I forgot the name) which reports I have some infections at drive C:\Windows\blablabla when my OS is at drive D: and C: is empty. I tried to check the drive in Linux and what I had were only System Volume Information and Recycle Bin, no Windows folder.

I can live with popup ads if it's that's one way I can use a software without spending a dime but not too muc

Last edited:

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Besides repeating what others have said.

I dislike software that rudely instantly force restarts your PC after installing/uninstalling without any option delay prompt or warning.

If you have important documents open that isn't saved (or have an auto-save/ recover feature] you're going to be annoyed as was I.

I'm talking about you Sandboxie and VMWare.

Thanks.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I agree with a lot of these points being made ;)

Especially this one:

software is bad if:
- Stop working or show internal errors (obviously).

It really annoys me when software throws an error like "An internal error has occurred (Code 09180376)" I mean what the hell does that mean? It's useless for anyone other than the developer. I'd much rather they just let Windows throw the exception, at least then I get a meaningful error code and an offset which I can investigate. For example, a simple to fix "Error: Access Denied C:\install\log.xml" (caused for example by UAC on Windows) gets translated to "The operation did not complete correctly (Code 81a)".

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
or gives you something like Fatal Error Drive B:

fatalerror.jpg

j/k

Reactions: Cowpipe

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
All the complementary security products that provide 1 year licenses.
Ex: Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Sandboxie Pro, etc etc etc....
At least, their license term should be lifetime for the current major version cuz they're just complementary products. Its good to have them, but they're not a must have. And they don't come cheap.

Note: My dislike is not for the product itself, but for their licensing terms.

Reactions: RmG152

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
- Bugs
- Unethical behavior (like sending personal data that doesn't need, Adware or PUP, ....)
- Issues with installing, uninstalling or update
- Compatibility (with other software, with OS)
- Memory & Performance issues
- Ads inside the software or rogue like behavior.
- Bad support
- Forces you to register (anything that is forced on you)
- Tells you about awards that are useless (AV Companies)
- Aggressive advertising

And some software ... a lot of Anti-Viruses, Cleaning & Maintaining software, all VPNs and so on.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
- Bugs
- Tells you about awards that are useless (AV Companies)

softpedia_clean_award.jpg

When companies put images like this on their website but don't actually link to the review, I avoid that software like the plague. Easy way for anyone less technical to tell whether software is genuine, apart from Googling or asking on here, hover over any awards that they've presented on their website. If they are just images and don't link to an actual official review, click your back button ;)

Reactions: Dubseven and Oxygen

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014

When companies put images like this on their website but don't actually link to the review, I avoid that software like the plague. Easy way for anyone less technical to tell whether software is genuine, apart from Googling or asking on here, hover over any awards that they've presented on their website. If they are just images and don't link to an actual official review, click your back button ;)
Mostly everything on Softpedia is clean, but I avoid this on other sites.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014

Practically all antiviruses actually put that there ;)
Even ESET, MalwareTips favorite antivirus, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Norton, McAfee, etc. have these awards.

Also, rogue av could simply copy the image and paste it on the site that promotes rogue antivirus so people feel safe. I totally agree with you @Cowpipe ! Other ways you can spot these fakes or over-advertised products:
1. A counter for every download
2. The home page brags about everything
3. The first thing you see is a big "softpedia five stars", "Av-Test Certified", "Av-Comparatives Advanced+", etc.
4. The page is dominated by a huge chart that shows their AV is better
5. A huge download button saying "Download #1 Antivirus"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.