Serious Discussion What measures do you take to protect your privacy online?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, using extensions like Privacy Badger is a great way to enhance online privacy as it blocks third-party trackers.

Reactions: Jack

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
NextDNS blocking all, but about 20 TLDs, plus some antitracking filters, they block pretty much all ads. CookieAutodelete to remove caches on the go.
Separate browsers for separate accounts, Edge for browsing, Brave only for Google/Youtube and LibreWolf only for FB, the rest of the internet blocked.

capture_03292024_114100.jpg capture_03292024_114548.jpg

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
What privacy? All your bases are belong to your ISP. Seriously, all you can do is consciously limit what you provide when you surf the web and don't do anything nefarious to set off red flags. I guess using Linux helps because you don't have all that telemetry that's baked into Windows.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
NextDNS blocking all, but about 20 TLDs, plus some antitracking filters, they block pretty much all ads. CookieAutodelete to remove caches on the go.
Separate browsers for separate accounts, Edge for browsing, Brave only for Google/Youtube and LibreWolf only for FB, the rest of the internet blocked.

View attachment 282464 View attachment 282465
I will replicate this with Edge + Chrome + Brave some day. I like your out-of-the-box approach

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
What privacy? All your bases are belong to your ISP. Seriously, all you can do is consciously limit what you provide when you surf the web and don't do anything nefarious to set off red flags. I guess using Linux helps because you don't have all that telemetry that's baked into Windows.
DNS over HTTPS using a third-party DNS (not your ISP) should limit the amount of data your ISP collects?

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
DNS over HTTPS using a third-party DNS (not your ISP) should limit the amount of data your ISP collects?

Could be. I never really thought about that. I am actually using that with Floorp, and Linux firewall DNS rules as well as Network settings. There are IPv6 firewall rules and in Network settings as well.

Floorp Secure DNS.png
DNS settings.png

Reactions: LennyFox

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Technically yes but it's ultimately irrelevant. Yes, your DNS request isn't visible, but if the domain you're visiting doesn't support ECH, then the domain will leak to your ISP via SNI. And even if the domain does support ECH, your ISP can still still determine what domain you're visiting by matching OCSP serial numbers to IP addresses and then reverse-resolve those IPs into domain names.

If someone wants privacy from their ISP, they should use a VPN or Tor.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
Technically yes but it's ultimately irrelevant. Yes, your DNS request isn't visible, but if the domain you're visiting doesn't support ECH, then the domain will leak to your ISP via SNI. And even if the domain does support ECH, your ISP can still still determine what domain you're visiting by matching OCSP serial numbers to IP addresses and then reverse-resolve those IPs into domain names.

If someone wants privacy from their ISP, they should use a VPN or Tor.
Thanks (y) Now I understand why so many people I know use a VPN from their home for private use: -)

I understand companies use VPN for home workers for extra privacy and reducing data leakage, but I only used a VPN when away from home using WIFI and local netwerk infrastructure I don't know (or trust).

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
AVLabs advises VPN for phones that no longer are supported with updates. That seems sensible, but I won't even do that.
I don't even have a VPN installed on my phone anymore. I never remembered to turn it on when connecting to public WiFi and eventually I just said screw it and uninstalled it. Have yet to experience any negative effects of doing so.

With HTTPS being ubiquitous nowadays I question whether the advice is even relevant anymore.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.