What motivates youngsters to get into cybercrime?

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
A UK National Crime Agency report, which is based on debriefs with offenders and those on the fringes of criminality, explores why young people assessed as unlikely to commit more traditional crimes get involved in cyber crime.
1AXvDgB.jpg

Motives and opportunities
It emphasises that financial gain is not necessarily a priority for young offenders. Instead, the sense of accomplishment at completing a challenge, and proving oneself to peers in order to increase online reputations are the main motivations for those involved in cyber criminality.

During
his debrief, Subject 7, who was jailed for Computer Misuse Act and fraud offences, told officers, “…it made me popular, I enjoyed the feeling… I looked up to those users with the best reputations”.

Full Article. What motivates youngsters to get into cybercrime? - Help Net Security

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The power of technology comes with massive curiosity.

For example hacking, youngsters are amazed on how through coding can change the way of behaving the system; especially on some scenes that are engage in heavy cyberwar.

Also are not afraid on the possible consequences since major companies will look for them to hire for improving security.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.