What pain points do you experience with cyber security?

Benmclarke

Thread author
Oct 9, 2019
Hi wonderful people!

I am looking to start a cyber security business and, to help determine what the focus of the business should be, I would like to know what pain points you experience in your day to day work in terms of managing cyber security?

Alternatively, what cyber security services or software would you like to see that would make your personal or professional life easier??

Thanks in advance for your time!

Ben

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Things that give me a headache when it's business-cybersecurity-related:

Employees: in order to act safely they need to be trained and the do's are don'ts. Usually a company doesn't invest in this, they should.
Malware propagation: via network, company shared network files
Poor e-mail filter and protection: employees just click every attachment they recieve and then unconsciously spread it
No limitation on what an employee can do: that can freely download crap and software, open every link or attachment they recieve, plug any USB or CD they want, share, torrent, P2P (malware alert!)
Ransomware: luckily it's starting to worry companies, many are investing on backups or protection, but still don't train they employees!

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Things that give me a headache when it's business-cybersecurity-related:

Employees: in order to act safely they need to be trained and the do's are don'ts. Usually a company doesn't invest in this, they should.
Malware propagation: via network, company shared network files
Poor e-mail filter and protection: employees just click every attachment they recieve and then unconsciously spread it
No limitation on what an employee can do: that can freely download crap and software, open every link or attachment they recieve, plug any USB or CD they want, share, torrent, P2P (malware alert!)
Ransomware: luckily it's starting to worry companies, many are investing on backups or protection, but still don't train they employees!
Because most admins are network/system admins, not security-oriented admins. I met some who don't even know that SRP/Applocker exist on their Windows Enterprise...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
In my experience, the hardest attack vector to protect is removable media such as flash drives. It is often overlooked by security vendors, perhaps because it is not glamorous and cutting-edge, but in the real world, it is dangerous.

Benmclarke

Thread author
Oct 9, 2019
Hey everyone, thanks so much for the productive replies so far (and the comic relief - cue oldschool ;)). Very much appreciated.

Robbie, shmu26, you've both indicated that removable media is a major issue...is there no sandboxing of such media to prevent malware propagation?

Umbra, why do you think that security is not a priority for network admins? Surely it would reflect badly on them if there was a major breach...

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Robbie, shmu26, you've both indicated that removable media is a major issue...is there no sandboxing of such media to prevent malware propagation?
Don't sandbox, block ! in corporate environment, USB shouldn't be able to access any computers. if people want share files, there is plenty of other ways.

Umbra, why do you think that security is not a priority for network admins? Surely it would reflect badly on them if there was a major breach...
Because i see it, most of them are forced to focus on other more "urgent" issues like network or hardware/softwrare malfunctioning, etc...no time for implementing serious security policies, if they even know how to do it...
Not saying those who knows are often restricted by their colleagues or boss to do it because they wont access their personal email, facebook or instagram anymore...and i dont talk about the costs and time spent to apply serious security.
Of course big companies can afford a whole IT teams, but smaller one are lucky to even have one guy...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I guess you read my mind, because I set up Comodo firewall to sandbox the partition letter used by inserted flash drives. But this is an ad hoc and incomplete solution. Unlike Sandboxie, a Word doc opened from the "sandboxed" flash drive will open regularly.

Benmclarke

Thread author
Oct 9, 2019
I guess you read my mind, because I set up Comodo firewall to sandbox the partition letter used by inserted flash drives. But this is an ad hoc and incomplete solution. Unlike Sandboxie, a Word doc opened from the "sandboxed" flash drive will open regularly.

Interesting. So are you saying that Comodo doesn't really sandbox properly?

Don't sandbox, block ! in corporate environment, USB shouldn't be able to access any computers. if people want share files, there is plenty of other ways.

Because i see it, most of them are forced to focus on other more "urgent" issues like network or hardware/softwrare malfunctioning, etc...no time for implementing serious security policies, if they even know how to do it...
Not saying those who knows are often restricted by their colleagues or boss to do it because they wont access their personal email, facebook or instagram anymore...and i dont talk about the costs and time spent to apply serious security.
Of course big companies can afford a whole IT teams, but smaller one are lucky to even have one guy...

In your opinion, how much does good security cost for the average business based on the solutions out there so far?

I am not worried about anything but would love to hear about new protection programs. :)
Tell us about your protection program.
Benmclarke

If only I had one! I am asking this question to help find what people such as yourselves are looking for in the way of cyber security solutions :)

venustus, it kind of is. A good cyber security solution will reduce stress for everyone. That's gotta have medical benefits! :p

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Interesting. So are you saying that Comodo doesn't really sandbox properly?
Comodo sandbox does not work as comprehensively as Sandboxie sandbox. But Comodo does offer a lot of other protections that Sandboxie does not. Unfortunately, Sandboxie is basically abandonware at this point, so I can't recommend it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.