What sandbox program to use?

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Do you recommend sandboxing a VM for additional security or do you think this is not needed/doesn't bring any additional protection?
What sandbox program would you recommend for dangerous environments or to test malware (additional to a VM)? thank you

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Use Virtual Box with all updates and you are ok.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Do you recommend sandboxing a VM for additional security or do you think this is not needed/doesn't bring any additional protection?
What sandbox program would you recommend for dangerous environments or to test malware (additional to a VM)? thank you
Hello Solarquest.
  • I use Sandboxie for all my browsing, but
  • ...specifically for sandboxing a VM, In my (humble) opinion, you'll only need to sometimes.;)
I've recently become more familiar with VMs using Oracle's Virtual Box for sampling linux varieties of distros, and had originally started out opening the VB in Sandboxie.
Likewise I've used Shadow Defender too, and found most add-ons & changes were rendered temporary.:(

So, keeping these drawbacks (or preferences..) in mind, my point is that at most times the answer to "Do I need to sandbox the VM?" will be no. You won't need to sandbox except for those
  • times when you'll need a sandbox most which would be when you are dealing with installing programs you are uncertain about or testing, and perhaps <clicking> on links that redirect you to places you are uncertain of.
Definitely don't sandbox if you are installing an OS in a VM.:rolleyes: These are just my opinions. I hope they'll help.;) Thanks!:D

Last edited:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013

Some uses Sandboxie in VM as an added layer of security. It's up to you.

You can use Deep Freeze, Shadow Defender, Virtual PC, Virtual Box. I am using DF, only because SD have compatibility issues with Qihoo
360 TS.

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Just a doubt, considering the security aspect, is it better to sandbox a VM and to run a program there, to sandbox a dubious program in a VM or it is the same?:confused:

D

Deleted member 178

use sandboxie to sandbox a program in a VM :D

100% paranoia 99.9999% efficient :p

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Just a doubt, considering the security aspect, is it better to sandbox a VM and to run a program there, to sandbox a dubious program in a VM or it is the same?:confused:
Installing anything you are uncertain of inside of a sandbox gives you more protection.;) While using a VM it is added protection as the app you're running will be within a virtual sandbox!:p:) As the nice ladies say about chicken soup, "It couldn't hurt!":D
Updated: I've cleared up my wording after Umbra's latest clarifying instruction.:)

Last edited:

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
thank you...why does a sandbox in a VM provide a better protection than a sandboxed VM? ..I know,I know, I'm very curious......;)

D

Deleted member 178

thank you...why does a sandbox in a VM provide a better protection than a sandboxed VM? ..I know,I know, I'm very curious......;)

because the VM use the host network drivers so i rather sandbox an app in a VM, less hassle

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
this makes sense..:)
Do you suggest to use sandboxie in a vm or it doesn't bring a higher protection?
If yes, why? Maybe because sanboxie uses a different approach/techniques than a VM so it could block something that could escape from a VM and viceversa?
To sandbox a program in a Vm will also be lighter for the PC than to sandbox a VM, or? thank you

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.