Advice Request What setup should I use for someone who is certain to screw up?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I've had this situation more than once & if the person isn't bothered then I'm not - I've spent hours sorting PC's out only to have them mess up with stupidity etc - I now charge or refuse to spend good time if they aren't bothered of learning some basics, there are exceptions but on the whole I stick to my new system, it took many years to get to this point but here I am.
Indeed, I have a neighbor like that. He used XP and I kept telling him to upgrade, so he got a new laptop with 10, I spent hours preparing it for him and the next day, he was still using XP, because 10 was too complicated for him and to this day, he still uses XP for banking and such and he keeps calling me, that XP can not connect his wireless printer, router and etc. 🤦‍♂️

IT services charges $50+ per hour, it can be like $250 per hour, if it includes malware cleanup and reinstall. So if people do not value your work, let them get it evaluated elsewhere.

rndmblk

Level 3
Nov 18, 2020
And can a local Windows Password be reset with ease?
Yes, they can.

You could prevent this by encrypting the drive with BitLocker. I think this can be confgured so the BitLocker password is only required to make changes to it, not at every boot as long as you have a chip called a TPM or I think you can set up a USB to do the same thing.

This probably goes even more into the 'moral' territory if you chose not to give someone the password to unencrypt their own drive

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Yes, they can.
Yes, I use utilman method as a backup to have SYSTEM CMD before logon, it helped me many times, no need to waste time restoring a backup.
Code:
takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%WINDIR%\System32\utilman.exe"
icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\utilman.exe" /grant:r %username%:F
copy /y %WINDIR%\System32\cmd.exe %WINDIR%\System32\utilman.exe
takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%WINDIR%\System32\sethc.exe"
icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\sethc.exe" /grant:r %username%:F
copy /y %WINDIR%\System32\cmd.exe %WINDIR%\System32\sethc.exe
One guy said, he was locked out, I told him how to do it, it would have taken him 5 mins, but no, he decided to drive 30 mins back and forth and paid $40 so they would do it for him. 🥱

Attachments

• IMG_20210420_200918_17CS.jpg
    IMG_20210420_200918_17CS.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 174

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.