Troubleshoot What should I do about my external HDD?

Herby Dank

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 20, 2017
Sketch.png

Reactions: AtlBo

Herby Dank

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 20, 2017
Your HDD is already running non-stop for ca. 2 years! Thats incredible and so much! Because this is your D: drive I wouldn't get now in panic. But you should change your HDD in the next months (my recommendation). The values are not "so" bad.

I'm certain it's not 2 years. Just yesterday it was powered off for 15 minutes. may be I misunderstood what you said.

EDIT: Ok i see what you mean. lol. But my main HDD is at 2.62 years! :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Herby Dank

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 20, 2017
I recommend installing Hard Disk Sentinel, as it give a clear explanation about the state of the drive and also gives an estimated remaining life.

If you install it, post a screenshot here.
Sketch.png

Thanks! This looks like a great program. :)

Is there any thing I can do about this problem and what exactly does this [ "They may be remapped anytime in the later use of the disk" ] mean?

Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Is there any thing I can do about this problem and what exactly does this [ "They may be remapped anytime in the later use of the disk" ] mean?

It means that Windows has marked the sectors and is going to disable them to avoid using them. It's only two sectors, but bad sectors are the beginning of the end. As mentioned by @askalan since it's a backup drive it should be OK for a while. Hard Disk Sentinel will tell you if it starts to go down hill. In the settings there is a setting you can set for notifications. Configurations->Preferences->Alerts->check to see a notification when drive health is below 50%/play a sound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hard Disk Sentinel provide a detailed explanation of weak sectors on their website.
Hard disk case: weak sectors
Because weak sectors may not indicate real failure of the hard disk drive, they are not counted as seriously as real bad sectors or other attributes / issues.
... in most cases the weak sectors do not indicate real problems with the hard disk.

Upvote 0

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
There is nothing to worry on the present state of your HDD.
If there is any mention of bad sectors, then you need to regularly see if the number of bad sectors are increasing continuously or the numbers of bad sectors has stabilized at some point.
I have a lot of bad sectors on my HDD and only able to use 39% of my HDD because of that and even after 2 years, i am still using the same HDD .
But having a full back will always help, even if the HDD fails prematurely.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.