What should I keep and what should I throw out? House cleaning my PC.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I currently have:
Win 10, 64bit
Emisisoft Internet Security 11 (w/ firewall)
Webroot Secure Anywhere
Trend Micro Complete 2016
Nod32 V9 AV
Hitman Pro Alert
MalwareBytes Lifetime

Concurrently running are:
Emisisoft
Webrrot
HitmanPro Alert
Nod32

Should I cut some of them for concurrent run?

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Wow you have alot of AV stand-by. *Salute*

Just curious. EIS + Webroot + ESET running together?

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
I currently have:
Win 10, 64bit
Webroot Secure Anywhere
Nod32 V9 AV
Hitman Pro Alert
MalwareBytes Lifetime

Emisisoft
Webrrot
HitmanPro Alert
Nod32

Yes, drop Nod32 and Webroot since Emsisoft is good enough for real time protection, but you can keep Webroot with Emsisoft if you like. However, i think running Webroot with Emsisoft is kinda futile since Emsisoft should able cover all the major threats with Bitdefender signature and Emsisoft signature will cover all major PUPs.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I currently have:
Win 10, 64bit
Webroot Secure Anywhere
Nod32 V9 AV
Hitman Pro Alert
MalwareBytes Lifetime

Emisisoft
Webrrot
HitmanPro Alert
Nod32

Choose 1 AV solution and then On Demand Scanner.

Emsisoft IS is a good option, but depends on your system to handle it. ESET has its decent protection, granted you customize HIPS and pair it with Windows Firewall (since you mentioned AV only); Trend Micro Complete is not bad really, last I tried, it was light as usual, but again for me is unecessary bells and whistles.

No need to run WSA with anything really. You can run it but is it really needed? No it is not.

In the end, depends on your system specs and your own personal preference. If I was to choose, none of the above on RT, just windows defender + windows firewall, have MBAM on on-demand scan and thats about it.

Reactions: Hangtooth

Kiwimike

Level 1
Verified
Dec 15, 2015
In my mind, one antivirus is best. Every antivirus installs a filter driver, this can slow down file access. If both antiviruses have the same exploit prevention technologies they could also interfere.
My honest opinion on what software you should run is:
Trend micro or Eset nod32 + malwarebytes pro (while you can leave realtime protection on, I would turn it off)

This is because of several reasons.
1. They offer less alerts and both contain some anti-exploit technologies that are included in EMET and MBAE.
2. They both use the Windows firewall, which is a really good firewall. Emsisoft's firewall is good too, its just according to some tests it lacks.
3. They both are light on the system, eset actually stores its signatures in ram, which means less cpu, less disk usage and more speed overall at the cost of a little ram. (about 70-90mb)
4. I generally prefer the quality of Trend and Eset over Emsisoft, I think emsisoft preduces a lot of false positives and lacks polish as a whole.

These are my own opinions, but I still stand strong in them. Hope this helps.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Thanks!
I am using webroot mainly due to the hype of being able to revert back any infections that might have occurred and not been detected yet.
plus I use it for it's anitkeyloging plug in...but I guess I have Hitman Pro Alert for that.

So has anyone tested the webroot roll back claims? Do they work?

I loved my OnlineArmor Premium and Mamutu. but since both of them got blobed into emsisoft internet security then in order to use it I must install that behemoth.

I do many risky browsing and software installing hence the security packages. I don't want my lapse of judgment to punish me.

has anyone seen any conflicts between the software listed? Of course I won't run Trend and Eset at the same time but I thought that initially both Webroot and Emisisoft were marketed as ad-on scanners to your current package.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Thanks!
I am using webroot mainly due to the hype of being able to revert back any infections that might have occurred and not been detected yet.
plus I use it for it's anitkeyloging plug in...but I guess I have Hitman Pro Alert for that.

So has anyone tested the webroot roll back claims? Do they work?

I loved my OnlineArmor Premium and Mamutu. but since both of them got blobed into emsisoft internet security then in order to use it I must install that behemoth.

I do many risky browsing and software installing hence the security packages. I don't want my lapse of judgment to punish me.

has anyone seen any conflicts between the software listed? Of course I won't run Trend and Eset at the same time but I thought that initially both Webroot and Emisisoft were marketed as ad-on scanners to your current package.
WSA rollback does work, however you need to know that it only happens when a detection is made by WSA, until then you will remain infected. I have done a youtube test in the past showcasing such feature.

Word of advice: if you do risk browsing and software installing, go the easy way: install virtual box, install windows inside a virtual machine and do it from there.

C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Hitman pro alert and emsisoft more than enough. Ocassionsly scan With mbam and zemana and Your laughing. Just my two cents ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
WSA is intended to be pretty light but comprise of enough features to pull down into security wise AV + compatible on other AV so don't hesitate to use it as primary.

Emsisoft primarily focus on their Big three + engine from Bitdefender that definitely kicks the performance + privacy worry free, choose this if you are convince.

Trend Micro primarily focus on Cloud which why footprints are tiny as possible however don't rely too much when you are not connected on internet.

ESET provides rapid detection capabilities which likely you need to consider especially on newest threats attacks, choose this if you are convince too.

Overall better choose one AV, let on demand scanners do the other job and make a habit to backup your system for any changes to occur.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.