What should I use for my lightweight config?

What is the best configuration for a gaming system? (Lightweight)

• Comodo Cloud + Qihoo 360

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • EAM + WF

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • G Data

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • ESET

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • ZAM + WF

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Panda Cloud

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I will have to differ from opinions claiming all AV are light nowadays. On the last two years up to now i've used 4 antivirus, 6 months each. They were, in this order: Norton, Emsisoft, Kaspersky and ESET.

Norton was really light. Emsisoft was a bit heavier but it was also kind of light on my system. Kaspersky was a bit heavy and when tweaked for maximum protection it turned really heavy on the system. ESET, the one i'm using now, is the lightest i've tried. It's fully equipped with tweaking options and after configuring it for maximum protection is still the lightest.

Aforementioned, it's not all about RAM consuming. ESET consumes more RAM fully tweaked than Norton or Emsisoft did, but it's lighter. You'll have to try and test on your own system.

With 32GB of ram, I'm not to worried about ram consumption. As long as it doesn't effect my gaming, I'm good. ;)

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I am using the latest version of Eset and it is very light, low on cpu and disk read/writes also. Just try two or three of your favorites and you will find what works best for your specific system.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 319
Reactions: tonibalas

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Many users aren't understanding what RAM is. The more RAM a AV uses the better. If you have 32GB RAM then you want that someone uses it!!! If a AV loads the signatures in the RAM then it will not slowdown your hard drive. There are also cloud AV's. They aren't loading signatures in the RAM but they will slowdown maybe your internet connection. But both are using your CPU. Default-deny solutions (like Hard_Configurator) are using nearly nothing but you will need to click more and make decisions.

EDIT: I'm feeling that I described Hard_Configurator a little bit wrong. Let's take Windows 10 that was configured by Hard_Configurator as a example. You will need do two clicks more with it while installing a new software. This is nothing compared to other default-deny solutions. But it is a difference to a AV that everybody will notice.

Last edited:

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
I will have to differ from opinions claiming all AV are light nowadays. On the last two years up to now i've used 4 antivirus, 6 months each. They were, in this order: Norton, Emsisoft, Kaspersky and ESET.

Norton was really light. Emsisoft was a bit heavier but it was also kind of light on my system. Kaspersky was a bit heavy and when tweaked for maximum protection it turned really heavy on the system. ESET, the one i'm using now, is the lightest i've tried. It's fully equipped with tweaking options and after configuring it for maximum protection is still the lightest.

Aforementioned, it's not all about RAM consuming. ESET consumes more RAM fully tweaked than Norton or Emsisoft did, but it's lighter. You'll have to try and test on your own system.

I agree. Unless someone is stuck with a PC with 2GB RAM, talking about heaviness in term of RAM usage, is something of 2005. I look at CPU usage and most importantly, lag that they add on i/o disk operations. Like lag added when you rapidly open folders, copying, launching applications. Much like the "performance tests", made by AVTest.org or AVComparatives.

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
Comodo Firewall alone is very light, even windows built in + voodoshield + binisoft WFC ( my actual config) is very light for everyday use.

Reactions: tonibalas

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I don't use it because it will put you in danger so not worth:p
@LukeLovesSecurity use wise game booster or Razer Cortex and they will boost you performance
Razer Cortex>wise but it's not a handy tool like wise.
Thing to remember here is that, Razor Cortex was and is created and built by gamers. This makes a big difference.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I am not so sure, so I selected Other.
For me lightest while gaming was Avira, and then Panda, Zone Alarm and Avast free versions.

Avast might be the best well rounded option.

AVG and Comodo did well to protect, but felt a bit heavy during gaming, they have good behavior block that is the reason for a bit of drag/slowdown.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I'm a bit confused, what exactly are you aiming for here? Active protection? Backup?

What I'd recommend if you want to just ensure you have a way of getting out of an infection is Rollback Rx Home. It's lightweight, free, and effective. I put it on an Ideapad 100S and that machine is pretty much a hair above a tablet, and it ran perfectly.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.