Advice Request What would be the Best Browser Anti-Exploitation App?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have been using Google Chrome for some time, and now the latest version 68 because it is said that Chrome is a secure browser.

That said to prevent Browser Exploitation, what app would you recommend?

I know there are apps like NoScript available but they can break websites, and one must be a savvy user to use them properly.

BTW, I am currently using Eset IS and ZAL as my base protection.

Suggestions?

Reactions: JB007

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
ESET IS already includes anti-exploit protection:
Exploit Blocker
Blocks attacks specifically designed to evade antivirus detection and eliminates lockscreens and ransomware. Protects against attacks on web browsers, PDF readers and other applications, including Java-based software.
Using another anti-exploit solution will likely cause conflict and subsequent issues.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
ESET IS already includes anti-exploit protection:

Using another anti-exploit solution will likely cause conflict and subsequent issues.
I second this. ESET Internet Security covers that part. Make sure to have all your system and software updates up to date as well. PatchMyPC can help you here :)

I have been using Google Chrome for some time, and now the latest version 68 because it is said that Chrome is a secure browser.

That said to prevent Browser Exploitation, what app would you recommend?

I know there are apps like NoScript available but they can break websites, and one must be a savvy user to use them properly.

BTW, I am currently using Eset IS and ZAL as my base protection.

Suggestions?

Nobody can answer this correctly for you because you didn't state what version of Windows you are using.

Anyway, generally, as far as anti-exploits, HitmanPro Alert is the leader.

You shouldn't add it if you intend on continuing to use ESET IS; overlaps and conflicts between anti-exploits and other security softs is often found out too little, too late.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Nobody can answer this correctly for you because you didn't state what version of Windows you are using.

Anyway, generally, as far as anti-exploits, HitmanPro Alert is the leader.

You shouldn't add it if you intend on continuing to use ESET IS; overlaps and conflicts between anti-exploits and other security softs is often found out too little, too late.

Windows 10 v1803 latest. Thanks for the info.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
use malwarebytes anit-exploit, i find that hitman is buggy.
Is anti-exploit still available to download as single product? I used it when it was on beta stage, but it got merged with malwarebytes paid version or something..

Edit: Found it, running smoothly

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit 1.12 Build 90 released

Anyone interested

Just curious, does it update automatically or do i have to download the beta file always manually

Last edited:
Reactions: stefanos

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Appcheck Anti Ransomware which has an Anti Exploit in it which is what I use alongside Emsisoft Anti Malware and it is free too.
Product Introduction - CheckMAL
Thanks, seems the free version is having cleaner against pup/pua too. I think im gonna try this instead of malwarebytes anti-exploit

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
The Anti Ransomware is very good. It reverses changes that the ransomware did once it detects it, if it modified any files. Here is a review on it here.

Very unlikely i have ever need for anti-ransomware, since i have voodooshield + kaspersky free anyways. I just like the anti-exploit + cleaner along with malwarebytes free. But the extra layer protection of anti-ransomware compotent is always welcome

Actually voodooshield has anti-exploit so i wouldnt need the appcheck at all

Reactions: JB007 and oldschool

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The "anti-exploit" of Voodooshield, and probably of AppCheck also, is really post-exploit protection. In other words, it mitigates an attack that has already succeeded in compromising a vulnerable application, such as a browser.
A true anti-exploit -- for instance, HitmanPro.Alert or MalwareBytes AntiExploit -- tries to prevent the initial exploit from taking place. But exploits are constantly changing, and blocking too many kinds of actions can cripple the application, so a true anti-exploit may or may not succeed in protecting.
I would place more faith in good post-exploit protection, although both types could be used, if you don't mind burdening your system down with all that code.

The best policy is simply to avoid using applications that are easy to exploit and are commonly exploited. Next best solution is to sandbox or isolate them.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
The "anti-exploit" of Voodooshield, and probably of AppCheck also, is really post-exploit protection. In other words, it mitigates an attack that has already succeeded in compromising a vulnerable application, such as a browser.
A true anti-exploit -- for instance, HitmanPro.Alert or MalwareBytes AntiExploit -- tries to prevent the initial exploit from taking place. But exploits are constantly changing, and blocking too many kinds of actions can cripple the application, so a true anti-exploit may or may not succeed in protecting.
I would place more faith in good post-exploit protection, although both types could be used, if you don't mind burdening your system down with all that code.

The best policy is simply to avoid using applications that are easy to exploit and are commonly exploited. Next best solution is to sandbox or isolate them.
Would you recommend to run malwarebytes anti-exploit with voodooshield? if malwarebytes cant prevent attack it moves to voodooshield and is user dependent by then?

On topic: Just use products wich have regular updates and avoid products that are outdated and vulnerable because of slow patching

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Would you recommend to run malwarebytes anti-exploit with voodooshield? if malwarebytes cant prevent attack it moves to voodooshield and is user dependent by then?

On topic: Just use products wich have regular updates and avoid products that are outdated and vulnerable because of slow patching
Well, let's put the AV out of the equation for the moment. :) I don't see any reason not to run MB anti-exploit with voodoo, if you think that MBAE will help you. Personally, I think its power is limited, and it may not be worth the troubles it causes. I think that voodoo has you pretty well covered, even without MBAE. Just my personal opinion. If I was looking for a little extra protection, and I didn't want to use a sandboxing or isolation solution, then I would run OSArmor at max settings, rather than MBAE.

If you want a strong anti-exploit, it is called HitmanPro.Alert. It does a lot more than MBAE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.