What would you install on a basic users machine?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Yandex browser with enabled Autocomplete and Sync. Set OpenDNS or YandexDNS via built-in dnscrypt
Adguard extension, but set not to block ADs. Create Gmail and set Google as a default search engine
Adblocker for Youtube to compensate for a missing adblocker filter, which would block legitimate sites
Panda Free AV (if reliable connection) or Avast Free. There is no need for KAV, since it is in Yandex
CCleaner and create a shortcut to turn off a computer with it (to clean temp, internet cache, etc)

That is all for security related software as for the rest:

Reliability software: Visual C++ All-In-One, DX9.0c, K-Lite Basic Codec Pack, WiseCare
Usability software: 7-zip, PDF xChange Editor, MPC-BE, XnView, TeamViewer, LibreOffice

As a matter of fact, I have just did install all of those via TeamViewer, when setting up my friend's PC, except AV, he does not need any (not with my tweaks). :)

Last edited:
T

The paranoid one

Keep it easy for a beginner (this is, IMO, a very good free and easy config):
Yandex Browser or Opera
Sophos Home
Adguard extension
VLC
LibreOffice
FreeDownload Manager
Wisecare
Emsisoft Emergency Kit

... and the first one: don´t touch if you don´t know what are you doing ;)

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
For a basic user I would install:
Adobe Reader,
Microsoft Office (or LibreOffice),
Firefox,
Google Chrome,
uBlock Origin for both browsers,
WinRAR
Klite Codec Pack Standard
Free Download Manager
qbittorrent
Notepad++
Avast Free Antivirus
Zemana Antimalware Free.

I think this setup covers most of the needs of the average computer user. My favourite AVs are Eset and Emsisoft, but assuming that a basic user is not willing to pay for a licence, then I'll choose Avast.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
What i would install on a basic user machine?
Software that need minimum user interaction and are light on performance.
A chromium based browser with an adblock. My choice is Cent with Adguard.
Mozilla based browsers would be a choice if their performance will improve.
An AV that offer good protection out of the box,EAM and EAV( HIPS on Smart Mode).
A media player, VLC and Pot Player my choices.
7zip for unpacking.
That's my basic set up.
Now if you want to teach something to the basic user then you add some useful software.
I want my set up to be as light and with minimum interaction as possible;)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Yandex browser with enabled Autocomplete and Sync. Set OpenDNS or YandexDNS via built-in dnscrypt
Adguard extension, but set not to block ADs. Create Gmail and set Google as a default search engine
Adblocker for Youtube to compensate for a missing adblocker filter, which would block legitimate sites
Panda Free AV (if reliable connection) or Avast Free. There is no need for KAV, since it is in Yandex
CCleaner and create a shortcut to turn off a computer with it (to clean temp, internet cache, etc)

That is all for security related software as for the rest:

Reliability software: Visual C++ All-In-One, DX9.0c, K-Lite Basic Codec Pack, WiseCare
Usability software: 7-zip, PDF xChange Editor, MPC-BE, XnView, TeamViewer, LibreOffice
What would Adguard do here then if it's not set to block ads. I'm assuming it's to break as little site as possible so, logically, the privacy and social media filters are also not enabled. Only the malware and phishing filters are. Or maybe you're saying English filters are not enabled rather than all ads which includes stuff like Peter Lowe's and Simplified Domain Filters.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I would probably go with a set-it-and-forget-it setup so that person won't call me or have me come over when they have to configure something.

Set Windows 10 to automatically update everything (except mouse and keyboard drivers. It always breaks those)
Kaspersky Free
Windows Firewall
Disable all other browsers except Chrome
Chrome extensions:
uBlock Origin + uBlock Protector
Smart HTTPS
Decentraleyes

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
My favorite one:
1) Clean install everything first remove all unnecessary wares.
2) Install Shadow Defenders.
3) Install EAM.
4) Install WFC.
5) Install Google Chrome.
6) Install Adguard.
7) Install anything that is portable (run from folders/thumbdrives).

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
When you say a basic users machine, I think about most of the non-really techy users that just use a computer to browse a bit or do some office stuff for work, and not about most of the MT member type users.
I think for that category of computer users, simplicity is the keyword. I would not install that much on such a computer. Just a free simple install and forget antivirus that does not display ads and doesn't need (much) configuration (Bitdefender free, Sophos Home free, Forticlient, Kaspersky free). Combining this with default windows firewall (but not combined with something like wfc or tinywall since they don't know how to configure it) and UAC to maximum. Depending on what the user wants, you can also install Chrome/Opera/Firefox with an adblocking extension, but Edge is fine too for just simple browsing. Other than that MS Office and maybe a video player like VLC or MPC-HC. Nothing more, if the user wants more, they can install it themselves.

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
2017-10-23_18h01_31.png

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
For a basic user:
Antivirus:
Bitdefender Free or Kaspersky Free
Firewall: GlassWire
Web browser: Google Chrome
Browser extensions: HTTPS Anywhere, Avira Browser Safety & Adguard
On demand scanners: Malwarebytes, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Zemana Anti-Malware
DNS: Norton ConnectSafe
Other tools: Unchecky

For an advanced user:
Antivirus:
Avast Free Antivirus (with max. settings)
Firewall: Comodo Firewall
Web browser: Google Chrome
Browser extensions: HTTPS Anywhere, uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin Extra
On demand scanners: Malwarebytes, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Zemana Anti-Malware
DNS: Norton ConnectSafe or OpenDNS
VPN: Windscribe VPN or ProtonVPN
Other tools: Unchecky

:D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.