What would you recommend for an Android Security Package?

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
i have used norton mobile security for a while and it has a lot of good features
you can try it out for 30 days and see if it suits your needs

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Common sense I'd have to say. BUT if you were going to with an application, I have always gone with Trend Micro.

Reactions: pneuma1985

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Yeah common sense 100% but I am also looking for a good package that allows phone retrieval or wipe in case it's lost.

Reactions: shukla44

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Check if your phone OS itself also comes with security as well as anti-theft feature. I know some do have.
Otherwise, almost all notable mobile security apps offer the features you mentioned.
You are free to try them since all of them offer trials for 15 days.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
A ton of different software does that there is even Android Device Manager which comes preinstalled on most devices. There is Lookout Prey there is Avast: Cant remember the name of it, Bitdefender makes one and Eset does also I think... There are others but I've heard good things about those. Can't say I've always used common sense ;)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
A ton of different software does that there is even Android Device Manager which comes preinstalled on most devices. There is Lookout Prey there is Avast: Cant remember the name of it, Bitdefender makes one and Eset does also I think... There are others but I've heard good things about those. Can't say I've always used common sense ;)

That's what I'm using it. ADM's anti-theft features
The only software I installed is Adguard Premium which is extremely useful.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Does adguard premium do that jw? Haven't checked out the android version of it yet...

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Yeah common sense 100% but I am also looking for a good package that allows phone retrieval or wipe in case it's lost.

My T-Mobile S5 came with pre-installed Lookout Mobile Security trail, and it seem like I can't uninstalled it, but rather disable it. Any idea how I can uninstall it?

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Does adguard premium do that jw? Haven't checked out the android version of it yet...

Adguard premium is doesn't have that features, it's just an add-on but works to block ads/etc which in turn saves bandwidth. It's not a full suite security package.

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Emsisoft Mobile Security uses BitDefender engine. I didn't know this until i find out this result on VirusTotal.com!

Code:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/0730715af7bb007e4e683806d855119fddd2b5c3b38825b89f351fc9ba476f94/analysis/

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Adguard premium is doesn't have that features, it's just an add-on but works to block ads/etc which in turn saves bandwidth. It's not a full suite security package.
Thanks for the info yeah lookout is well sort of crappy: a family member of mine tested it and his analysis was as follows. The sw seemed to work sometimes well most of the time, but if I remember correctly It doesn't take logs of its locations so finding where you may have dropped it or lost it is impossible if the phone is dead which is sort of well pointless for recovery.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
My T-Mobile S5 came with pre-installed Lookout Mobile Security trail, and it seem like I can't uninstalled it, but rather disable it. Any idea how I can uninstall it?
Umm is your phone rooted? Iif its rooted just use titanium backup or root uninstaller. Or any su removal tool. If you don't feel like buying anything just use an su file explorer and remove it.
If I remember correctly rooting the S5 was easy but the recovery was a hassle... Not sure if T-mobile had an encrypted bootloader or not I know Verizon and AT&T do on the S5. If you're not rooted and its a system app I don't think you can remove it actually. The only option is to do what you're currently doing and block or freeze them with debloating apps. You could always root it real quick with a temp root and uninstall what you want then remove the temp root: just a thought.

Last edited:

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Umm is your phone rooted? Iif its rooted just use titanium backup or root uninstaller. Or any su removal tool. If you don't feel like buying anything just use an su file explorer and remove it.
If I remember correctly rooting the S5 was easy but the recovery was a hassle... Not sure if T-mobile had an encrypted bootloader or not I know Verizon and AT&T do on the S5. If you're not rooted and its a system app I don't think you can remove it actually. The only option is to do what you're currently doing and block or freeze them with debloating apps. You could always root it real quick with a temp root and uninstall what you want then remove the temp root: just a thought.

Never rooted. The Lookout Mobile Security were on my S5 since i first turned it on the day my mom bought it.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I use Dr.Web it's very good and blocks a lot of websites. Plus it has a firewall (VPN) so you can block access to certain apps.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
in the latest Android , you should have the option to Lock/Erase your device (option located generally in Settings > Security > Device Administrators)

That's what I do. You basically don't need security suite if you know how to use your phone built-in features :D

Also usually android device have the feature to lock apps and permission manager similar to anti-exe function.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.