I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox, Ad block plus
Maintenance tools
Advanced system optimizer

whate

Thread author
Nov 28, 2014
My internet explorer does seem to have an adware from speed bit download accelerator plus. It doesn't seem to get removed and is undetected/ unresolved even after uninstall.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@whate, NullPointerException offered quality recommendations.

If you are using AVG mainly for it's free service, you have quite a selection of other free offerings. We use Avast! on our Windows 8.1 system. Their free version is available here https://www.avast.com/en-us/index
Avira also offers a free AV, but there's also a free Giveaway going on right now that's open exclusively to members. It's at the top of the page, but here is the link while it's still active: http://malwaretips.com/threads/avira-antivirus-pro-2015.41070/

For expert help, you can always turn to our staff whom volunteer with malware removal assistance, by posting a thread here: http://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/
Each thread is there for your reference but the individual help provided is strictly for the OP (original poster) for their specific problem.

When you have taken the steps and your problem has been left behind, consider using the free sandboxing program, Sandboxie.
A way to understand how a sandbox works keeping changes from being made to your system is how it acts similarly to the way ones home provides shelter by keeping out the heat, rain, and cold. The fact that windows & doors must be opened in order to allow fresh air inside, likewise your browser would also need to be outside of it's protective sandbox in order for desired updates & themes to remain longer than temporarily.;):p

Do update any subscriptions you've chosen for your adblocker, and consider using the free LastPass extension. It works in each of your browsers to securely protect both you and your passwords.
Thank you for sharing your configuration.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: toto and scot

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Did you consider to do a reset PC feature or refresh PC from Windows 8.1 if that's you referring to something problem in IE?

Anyway AVG Free is fine AV and sometimes common sense will save you more followed by doing backups from built in Windows or third party mentioned by @scot.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Did you consider to do a reset PC feature or refresh PC from Windows 8.1 if that's you referring to something problem in IE?

Anyway AVG Free is fine AV and sometimes common sense will save you more followed by doing backups from built in Windows or third party mentioned by @scot.

@jamescv7 , refreshing whate's PC was an awsome tip!:) In fact, after I'd had problems today with the IE on my own system (I'd needed to reinstall Opera & Firefox) I just <rest> the IE browser after reading your post about refreshing.

This brought me to consider whate might try resetting IE first, before refreshing the system. From the cog shaped Tools (Alt + X),
  1. Go to "Internet Options"
  2. Click on the "Advanced" tab
  3. To the right side, at the bottom, you can chose <reset> to default.
  • *Note: This should only be done if browser is unusable (like mine).:p

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Keep AVG Free, for me it's a good antivirus you just have to be careful what you are clicking so you can avoid adware and malware;)
Thanks for sharing your config:)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree with the suggestions already made.AVG should be fine. I might consider adding Sanboxie free and most definitely a back up solutions I also liked @jamescv7 suggestion on doing a refresh

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.