What's really going on under the hood??

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! The only thing that grabs me is Utorrent! The following was copied from the internet!
If you have downloaded the executable from a safe source then you might not get infected directly by running it.

If you have a proper security suite installed on your computer (antivirus, firewall, antispyware, etc) from a reliable vendor (mcafee, norton, etc) that is properly configured and completely up to date... along with all windows security updates... then you might get saved from infecting yourself with an infected download or someone attempting to attack you via your IP address... if not, then you are certainly at risk of those.

Anytime you open up a communication port and/or with other people's computers who may or may not be using protection themselves and then attempting to download illegal files... you run some risk... not to mention the federal copyright infringement laws you will be breaking and the risk of federal prison and a nice felony count (federal ones never go away).

Reactions: frogboy

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hey Kaz! I like to have a little fun on MT but I do know a little about W7 and a little about other things, and I I love sharing and learning with other members here on MT. Going to play a little on line poker now. I'll see you around on this great forum.
My above post is for real. I don't think MT approves of Utorrents??

Reactions: Kazuyya and frogboy

Kazuyya

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 9, 2014
Utorrent.... I guess telling everyone its for educational purposes wouldn't work. :cool:

Hi! The only thing that grabs me is Utorrent! The following was copied from the internet!
If you have downloaded the executable from a safe source then you might not get infected directly by running it.

If you have a proper security suite installed on your computer (antivirus, firewall, antispyware, etc) from a reliable vendor (mcafee, norton, etc) that is properly configured and completely up to date... along with all windows security updates... then you might get saved from infecting yourself with an infected download or someone attempting to attack you via your IP address... if not, then you are certainly at risk of those.

Anytime you open up a communication port and/or with other people's computers who may or may not be using protection themselves and then attempting to download illegal files... you run some risk... not to mention the federal copyright infringement laws you will be breaking and the risk of federal prison and a nice felony count (federal ones never go away).
Yeah, I know I'm trying to break the habit...torrent are very addictive.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Yeah, I know I'm trying to break the habit...torrent are very addictive.:rolleyes:
You seem to be very smart and I see you are using Macrium Reflect, so you are probably fearless. Not much scares me either as I'm also a big Macrium fan
I do not use Utorrent however. I have quit smoking, but drink a little whiskey to help me sleep.:D:D:D
Habits are hard to break:)

Reactions: Kazuyya

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
There are a lot of legitimate and legal torrents out there...

And I don't use adware uTorrent, it's Tixati for me :)

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
This is your thread so not sure if off topic is a problem or not. MT puts up with some off topics but we may be way off topic.
Find some topics you know and join in. You will love it here. I joined Sunday. Not sure when I'll wear my welcome out, but I'm still here.
Will check my status in the morning:(

There are a lot of legitimate and legal torrents out there...

And I don't use adware uTorrent, it's Tixati for me :)
Hi I really don't have a knowledgeable reply to that. Torrent's are Torrents. Never used one!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, Kazuyya, for sharing all that's "..really going on under your (x64 bit Windows 7 system's) hood". Chrome & Firefox, it's like having your Chrome cake and including the Firefox ice cream alla mode too!!:p
If, as the owner a x64 Bit system, you've tried stable 64 Bit browsers than I need say no more. If you have not, well, now, here are (2) secure (spelled: timely patched & updated) Firefox equivalents, though there are some whom may feel they are even better:
  1. Cyberfox www.8pecxstudios.com
  2. Palemoon www.palemoon.org
  • I recommend portable versions extracted onto an external USB flash drive which keeps your system freed up and lighter!:):)
Macrium Reflect is a very good 'Plan B' in the event malware calamity strikes like:eek: lightening in the worst imaginable way!:oops: I've recently created my first recovery disk, and feel more secure with this imaginary air bag for Windows!:rolleyes:

I've tried Bit Torrent (only once) and downloaded a linux LXLE (an out-of-the-box re-spin on the lubuntu distro) and experienced vivid Napster download-ing flashbacks!:D

Our friend, donetao, wants us to remain safe and un-infected and so do I.

For password encryption security, and essentially an additional secure bookmark keeper, try the free (non-binary) LastPass extension:
Sandboxie free provides an added layer of protection to the system by essentially preventing changes to the browser (inside the sandbox) from becoming permanent, unless you decide to add or update w/o this protection; and it's a great way to test drive add-ons before deciding to keep them.:cool:

Last edited:

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Thanks Cats! I can always count on you my friend!
uTorrent is not malicious. It's perfectly legal to have it installed, it's somewhat illegal to use it for downloading copyrighted material. The government doesn't care if you're downloading the latest movie or game ; sometimes the "copyright trolls" (companies like EA) send false or even malicious data packets, causing loss of bandwidth, money and time. You need to re-download the "true" hashes to complete the download, it doesn't matter in small files, but in big files with a slow connection it probably matters. PeerBlock can be installed for preventing malicious hashes or any false hashes at all from being downloaded. Again, it's perfectly legal to use PeerBlock, as it is not violating any laws.

The only source you can get infected from a torrent, is shady files. Shady files equals false files (i.e. not what they pretend to be. A file named "5654545.iso.exe" is probably not GTA V for PC as they claimed it to be) and therefore can lead to infection. That is done by hackers ; the files are removed quickly by the moderators anyway ; and the government doesn't own the right to infect its civilians. Not yet at least.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
uTorrent is not malicious. It's perfectly legal to have it installed, it's somewhat illegal to use it for downloading copyrighted material. The government doesn't care if you're downloading the latest movie or game ; sometimes the "copyright trolls" (companies like EA) send false or even malicious data packets, causing loss of bandwidth, money and time. You need to re-download the "true" hashes to complete the download, it doesn't matter in small files, but in big files with a slow connection it probably matters. PeerBlock can be installed for preventing malicious hashes or any false hashes at all from being downloaded. Again, it's perfectly legal to use PeerBlock, as it is not violating any laws.

The only source you can get infected from a torrent, is shady files. Shady files equals false files (i.e. not what they pretend to be. A file named "5654545.iso.exe" is probably not GTA V for PC as they claimed it to be) and therefore can lead to infection. That is done by hackers ; the files are removed quickly by the moderators anyway ; and the government doesn't own the right to infect its civilians. Not yet at least.

NullPointerException,
"..sometimes the "copyright trolls" (companies like EA) send false or even malicious data packets..."
was a real :eek:surprise!
..and "PeerBlock can be installed for preventing malicious hashes or any false hashes at all from being downloaded." is good to know!:)
Thanks!:cool:
30 Sites For Legal (and Free) Torrents

I hope it's helpful :)

I use gameupdates.org frequently to download big game torrents. It's completely legal and free.
Thanks, @jackuars! Now, once we fire up the "legal" Free Torrents, we'll all be able to sleep much better!
...and in the morning our systems should start right up as they are supposed to too!;):D

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I'm way out of my league here, so I'll just shut up and post on some thing I know a little more about!:cool::cool:.
This should make you feel a lot better Kaz!

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Hi! I'm way out of my league here, so I'll just shut up and post on some thing I know a little more about!:cool::cool:.
This should make you feel a lot better Kaz!
No, you're welcome to post here. I was just correcting you. :) I am quite sure you'll learn a lot of here ; and we'll learn from you too. ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Maybe privacy soft ware such as CCleaner or Privazer if not already installed.HTTPS Everywhere in browser.Looks Good!! Thanks for sharing your config :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
No, you're welcome to post here. I was just correcting you. :) I am quite sure you'll learn a lot of here ; and we'll learn from you too. ;)
I second NullPointerException's sentiment. It needed to be said. That, and Kazuyya is going to download Torrents no matter what anybody says to the contrary, right Kaz??:p;) :D

Update: ..I'm going to have to take a look at Privazer. That Exterminator, he calls 'em like he sees 'em, and he knows what he's talking about.:):)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kazuyya and donetao

Kazuyya

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 9, 2014

Thank You Null for all the information...I know that this forum will be a major asset. I've learned quite alot already by reading your post.

Kazuyya

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 9, 2014
I second NullPointerExceptions sentiment. It needed to be said. That, and Kazuyya is going to download Torrents no matter what anybody says to the contrary, right Kaz??:p;) :D

Update: ..I'm going to have to take a look at Privazer. That Exterminator, he calls 'em like he sees 'em, and he knows what he's talking about.:):)
Thank you, Kazuyya, for sharing all that's "..really going on under your (x64 bit Windows 7 system's) hood". Chrome & Firefox, it's like having your Chrome cake and including the Firefox ice cream alla mode too!!:p
If, as the owner a x64 Bit system, you've tried stable 64 Bit browsers than I need say no more. If you have not, well, now, here are (2) secure (spelled: timely patched & updated) Firefox equivalents, though there are some whom may feel they are even better:
  1. Cyberfox www.8pecxstudios.com
  2. Palemoon www.palemoon.org
  • I recommend portable versions extracted onto an external USB flash drive which keeps your system freed up and lighter!:):)
Macrium Reflect is a very good 'Plan B' in the event malware calamity strikes like:eek: lightening in the worst imaginable way!:oops: I've recently created my first recovery disk, and feel more secure with this imaginary air bag for Windows!:rolleyes:

I've tried Bit Torrent (only once) and downloaded a linux LXLE (an out-of-the-box re-spin on the lubuntu distro) and experienced vivid Napster download-ing flashbacks!:D

Our friend, donetao, wants us to remain safe and un-infected and so do I.

For password encryption security, and essentially an additional secure bookmark keeper, try the free (non-binary) LastPass extension:
Sandboxie free provides an added layer of protection to the system by essentially preventing changes to the browser (inside the sandbox) from becoming permanent, unless you decide to add or update w/o this protection; and it's a great way to test drive add-ons before deciding to keep them.:cool:
:D:D:DWow! What can I say but thank you. I'll have my hands full with researching all the links you posted. I've already heard about Sandboxie in name only; and I was shocked that I didn't already have it in my arsenals. Dude...you have given me some great suggestions that I'm going to implement on my system. Thanks Cat!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.