Advice Request What's the best free firewall?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

KillerSpy007

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 29, 2017
I have Avast free installed with aggresive hardened mode, and Second opinion scanners like Emsisoft Emergency kit, Malwarebytes etc. and an Anti-Keylogger such as KeyScrambler.
I need a free Firewall or an extra layer of defence alongwith Primary AV (I think).

Reactions: LukeLovesSecurity

CureVirus

Level 1
Nov 9, 2017
The only free firewall software I know are ZoneAlarm and Comodo Firewall. I used to have Comodo Firewall and liked it a lot until I decided to have Avast Internet Security (paid). You can try each one of them and see which works best. There is another free firewall software called GlassWire and I am unfamiliar with this firewall.

Reactions: KillerSpy007

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I would suggest

If you need third party firewalls then
1. Zonealarm Free
2. Comodo Firewall

If you want to enhance Windwows Inbuilt firewall then
1. Glass Wire
2. Binisoft Firewall control
3. Tiny wall.

Personally I think windows firewall is more than enough for home users.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Since you are using avast with hardened settings, comodo may have some conflicting interests with it. Apart from the above given options i would like to add one more Free Software Firewall & UTM - Simplewall
Simplewall Pre-Install Requirements
Minimal system requirements:
  • Dedicated hardware/virtual machine with cd/dvd support.
  • Hardware must be x86 architecture supported.
  • 2GB+ RAM (recommended).
  • Two Ethernet network interface.
  • 40GB (minimum) Hard disk drive SATA / PATA.
    Note: Take a backup of your data as installation process will erase all the data on your DISK.
Requirement for Virtual Machines:

I think it's more suitable towards multiple machines within a network.
Maybe what you meant is this one? GitHub - henrypp/simplewall: Simple tool to configure Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) which can configure network activity on your computer.
Because it's what I'm currently using.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Simplewall (simplewall (Wfp Tool) Download) which is free, effective and easy to use with some bonus features
I don't trust anything from ZoneAlarm and Check Point anymore! more than 5 times they (checkpoint) sent me some emails that contain office files and I didn't open any of them(i had subscribed to checkpoint security news).
After that, they sent me an email that was saying we apologize for this mistake and that was a wrong email or smth like that lol!
The last email I got from ZoneAlarm:

Dear Persian,

The ZoneAlarm Beta team has determined that your PC is showing a bug we would like to investigate. Please download the following link and install it. It should replace the existing version of ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware you have installed:

Download the following installer
Run the downloaded installer
The new version will install and run without issue. We are looking at the telemetry these new installs will bring. You are one of only 15 users that have this bug. So it is vital up run this installer.

Thank You

ZoneAlarm Beta Team
what do you think about it?:D what is this? strange things happen to me.

I didn't have anything from ZoneAlarm on my pc and there was nothing about ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware tool anymore(because i changed my windows)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
For me it's comodo firewall. However, it may be a bit difficult to use and it takes a bit of time to learn how to use it properly and handle it's bugs. When you can fully manage it, it's very easy to make rules

If you don't like tweaking, Windows firewall can be a good option but IMO, it's one of the weakest firewalls and could be the first one to be hacked. It's not easy to make advanced rules. For example, allow port 80 but block all the others

another option can be Xvirus firewall. It gives you a rating and allows you to block/allow connections of a process

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I have Avast free installed with aggresive hardened mode, and Second opinion scanners like Emsisoft Emergency kit, Malwarebytes etc. and an Anti-Keylogger such as KeyScrambler.

I need a free Firewall or an extra layer of defence alongwith Primary AV (I think).

For free? Gotta say Comodo. It offers some great customization and has extra features such as HIPS ans auto-containment.

Paid? I personally like Glasswire because it offers a nice visual to what's going on. Not to mention it does technically use Windows Firewall.

KillerSpy007

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 29, 2017
Since you are using avast with hardened settings, comodo may have some conflicting interests with it. Apart from the above given options i would like to add one more Free Software Firewall & UTM - Simplewall
Okay...>Recently installed the latest versions of Avast free and Comodo Firewall 10 (Cruelsister settings). HIPS is also enabled :p . But there is no sign of conflict till now. Even both are working well and very light for my system.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Okay...>Recently installed the latest versions of Avast free and Comodo Firewall 10 (Cruelsister settings). HIPS is also enabled :p . But there is no sign of conflict till now. Even both are working well and very light for my system.
Well its good for you that you ain't have any issues.But i had issues whenever i tried the said combination, even with hips turned off.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
The Windows firewall is sufficient, but if I chose from third parties, it would be the firewall of ZoneAlarm, although it has an ugly and outdated interface, has excellent protection.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Zone Alarm, because of HIPS functionally, thanks to which it can catch child processes.

There also those 2 not mentioned: FortKnox Firewall and Free Firewall (it can work alongside of Windows Firewall).
FortKnox Firewall is NOT free. It's FREE to download and it's a shareware.

FYI, I'm using the paid version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.