Troubleshoot What's the concensus on Alienwares 2017?

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Boss is selling his old gaming PC, been testing it and for day to day functions like Word, browser, photoshop, vm, its marginally faster than my own PC. As for gaming, it blows mines away. Not much of a gamer nowadays due to lack of time.

Specs for the PC is :
i7 7800x
16GB DDR4
GTX1080
250GB SSD
1TB Sata

Not sure what to offer him and he told me to give him a price. What would be fair market price for him? 20171001_202538.jpg

Attachments

• 20171001_202559.jpg
    20171001_202559.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 396

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
That look like an Area51 gaming desktop. The price really varies upon the video card used, and sadly with the Nvidia GTX1080 that would be really a big time overkill for a non gamer (card costs about 500 bucks depending on who makes it). New you are looking at around 2600USD (and are you sure the SATA drive is only 1Tb and not 2?). So a fair price for his machine would be around 1400USD minimum. But consider that for your needs you can build a killer system around something like a Ryzen 7 with a much cheaper and equally good video card for less than 1000, all other specs being equal. Plus you could use a bigger case to make things cooler and quieter.

So offer 1200 and if he says no tell him to go xxxx himself.

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It probably has warranty for at least one more year. Cost of hardware should be at least the one below which goes to 1700(360 cpu,160 ram, 300 motherboard, 500 gpu, 80 psu, 80 cpu cooler, 80 case, 40 hdd, 100 ssd) if you buy parts one by one on your own(i didn't include a windows license because prices vary depending how confident you are when buying).
So if it has warranty for 1 more year i would pay 1200 and if it doesn't 1100 but you are not really a gamer so it makes little sense to buy it at that price. So if you don't care about gaming at all and never plan on doing it offer 1100 with warranty and 1000 without warranty or else is not really worth it for you because you can get similar specs minus the cool gpu for 1200 new.

Upvote 0

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I calculate always the PC price with my own formula:
[How much costs the PC now on the market] - [How old is this PC from the buying date (in years) * 15%]
Let's say the PC is 1,5 years old and is worth now 2799€ (source Dell):
1,5*15 = 22,5%
2799€ - 22,5% = 2169,23€

EDIT: You can buy a new PC with the same configuration for ~1800€. The price estimates from other are much to small. We're talking about a Alienware PC! That's like: I'am calculating the price of the components in the new Macbook.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

[How much costs the PC now on the market] - [How old is this PC from the buying date (in years) * 15%]
1,5*15 = 22,5%
2799€ - 22,5% = 2169,23€

EDIT: You can buy a new PC with the same configuration for ~1800€. The price estimates from other are much to small. We're talking about a Alienware PC! That's like: I'am calculating the price of the components in the new Macbook.
You can build a PC with the same configuration for way less, thing about laptops they always overpriced and/or lack balance, Alienware being overpriced even in the Desktop market.

Even if you are into gaming you can get more performance for half the price on a new build. I would pay around 800€ for that laptop.

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I wouldn't buy it, but I won't buy any "Prefab" systems.
I guess if it's a start up gamer maybe, but to me they are too unattractive for limiting your ability to
"fully" shape it to your will and or needs. All Prefabs suffer this.
You want a powerful system ( Laptop / PC ) that "you" have the creative control over ? I did and here's where I went:
Digital Storm: Custom Gaming Computers & Gaming PCs
Mine has been rebuilt, or Upgraded over time, some of it relatively recent , but it is 10yrs old and I replaced the parts to stay up to date and relevant but none of it other than the small housing fans had quit. That tells you the care and testing they do to ensure quality builds
and it pays off to. And I love the CoolerMaster HAF series wow they are roomy :)
Good luck with what you decide, keep us updated. PeAcE

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
1,5*15 = 22,5%
2799€ - 22,5% = 2169,23€

Who cares if it's alienware or made by aliens. The user just wants a computer he doesn't want to pay for the vendor. With your logic people would sell their pc after each new release because value dropped only by only 15%. The market doesn't work that way though. You must be really crazy to pay 85% of value after a year.
Also comparing it to the new macbook makes 0 sense because i can't build an exact computers as the macbook but i can 100% build the same computer as the alienware. Your analogy is not even apples to orange, more like apples to airplanes.
The alienware hold special value as long as it has warranty. When it doesn't, it holds 0 value and it's just a pc with a cool logo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
So why people are buying this?
Ever had a dell pc to check the warranty? They come at your home to fix it and replace all part no questions or cost asked. Anything breaks you have next day repairs and you can continue your work as always. The value is mostly on the awesome warranty and support and it's in many cases worth it depending on budget.

Upvote 0

Rainwalker

Level 1
Sep 7, 2017
I wouldn't buy it, but I won't buy any "Prefab" systems.
I guess if it's a start up gamer maybe, but to me they are too unattractive for limiting your ability to
"fully" shape it to your will and or needs. All Prefabs suffer this.
You want a powerful system ( Laptop / PC ) that "you" have the creative control over ? I did and here's where I went:
Digital Storm: Custom Gaming Computers & Gaming PCs
Mine has been rebuilt, or Upgraded over time, some of it relatively recent , but it is 10yrs old and I replaced the parts to stay up to date and relevant but none of it other than the small housing fans had quit. That tells you the care and testing they do to ensure quality builds
and it pays off to. And I love the CoolerMaster HAF series wow they are roomy :)
Good luck with what you decide, keep us updated. PeAcE
+ 1

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
Upvote 0

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
From what I have read, fair market value seems to be around $800-$1100. That was more than what I was willing to pay. :unsure:

@SHvFl it does have 2 years of warranty and accidental coverage left.

Here is what happened this morning, I brought the computer back to work and told my boss that its an amazing machine and after testing it, its a bit too overkill for me and I wouldn't be able to offer fair market value.

It is currently being used as my workstation at work :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

R&D into the design of the case and construction of the case does have it merits and I can understand their pricing. I just feel their PCB boards and LED lighting is not worth the high price. Most of the components are OEM or rebanded. That is just my opinion, a Ferrari or a toyota will take me from point A to point B, I am not at the luxury to drive a Ferrai or own an Alienware for the time being. With that said, GOD its a beauty and that Dorito Shape or Triangle Shape does have a lot of merit going for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
From what I have read, fair market value seems to be around $800-$1100. That was more than what I was willing to pay. :unsure:

@SHvFl it does have 2 years of warranty and accidental coverage left.

Here is what happened this morning, I brought the computer back to work and told my boss that its an amazing machine and after testing it, its a bit too overkill for me and I wouldn't be able to offer fair market value.

It is currently being used as my workstation at work :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

R&D into the design of the case and construction of the case does have it merits and I can understand their pricing. I just feel their PCB boards and LED lighting is not worth the high price. Most of the components are OEM or rebanded. That is just my opinion, a Ferrari or a toyota will take me from point A to point B, I am not at the luxury to drive a Ferrai or own an Alienware for the time being. With that said, GOD its a beauty and that Dorito Shape or Triangle Shape does have a lot of merit going for it.
You can build your own Liquid Cooled AMD TR for workstation and buy some hardware that is backed by a longer warranty.
If your boss had a AW laptop then I'd say buy it or find some Dell outlet for lower prices.

Reactions: Svoll and vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.