What's wrong with Secureaplus? If anything?

Does Secureaplus by itself offer good protection?

• Yes

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I see mainly neutral news on Secureaplus. I personally think it is a great default deny white listing program that is easy to use with integrated virustotal uploads and helpful feedback when determining what unknown to open.

I know it may not be as advanced as some of the other anti-exes out there, but it seems to me...it should offer excellent protection for most malware. I coupled mine with Windows Defender w/ PUA enabled (Windows 10 x64 Pro). I have offline AV turned off in Secureaplus.

I find Secureaplus more simple to use than Voodooshield, Appguard, NVT, etc. I like white listing software over signature based/behavior protections.

I also know it doesn't have web based protections such as phishing, etc...but myself and my clients usually run either Ublock Origin or Adguard for Windows to handle most of that (these probably do a better job anyhow, coupled with Chrome's malware/phishing protection).

The Secureaplus team is updating the software quickly (.5 to 1 month update time frame). It can take sometimes 1-2 days for support to respond to forum posts, but that's not horrible.

My questions are:

1. Why not use it? What features is it lacking? (important features please, not the %.0001 issues that may arise by not having this such feature). Let's be realistic. We are not protecting a nuclear submarine server here. ;)

2. Why do you like it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I see mainly neutral news on Secureaplus. I personally think it is a great default deny white listing program that is easy to use with integrated virustotal uploads and helpful feedback when determining what unknown to open.

I know it may not be as advanced as some of the other anti-exes out there, but it seems to me...it should offer excellent protection for most malware. I coupled mine with Windows Defender w/ PUA enabled (Windows 10 x64 Pro). I have offline AV turned off in Secureaplus.

I find Secureaplus more simple to use than Voodooshield, Appguard, NVT, etc. I like white listing software over signature based/behavior protections.

I also know it doesn't have web based protections such as phishing, etc...but myself and my clients usually run either Ublock Origin or Adguard for Windows to handle most of that (these probably do a better job anyhow, coupled with Chrome's malware/phishing protection).

The Secureaplus team is updating the software quickly (.5 to 1 month update time frame). It can take sometimes 1-2 days for support to respond to forum posts, but that's not horrible.

My questions are:

1. Why not use it? What features is it lacking? (important features please, not the %.0001 issues that may arise by not having this such feature). Let's be realistic. We are not protecting a nuclear submarine server here. ;)

2. Why do you like it?

Thanks!
why not use it:
1 it went bad on me a few times. It started to cause severe slowness. True, reinstall solved the problem, but then you have to go through the whole long initial whitelisting all over again, with all the FPs. I tried first exporting my whitelist and then importing, but I was not successfull in importing.
2 it is more demanding of system resources than average anti-executable, mainly because of the multiple cloud scanner.
3 I think the whitelisting requires you to rely on trusted certificates or trusted installers. So you can't lock down your system as much as you might like. (A lot of people don't trust certificates because they are sometimes stolen, forged, or issued indiscriminately.)

good: I am not using it right now, but I think it does a great job, while basically staying out of the way (until it goes bad).

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Anyone have any specific reasons? (such as features it is lacking etc)?

BTW, try the newest 4.2.3. My performance issues went away with this release.

Initial scan is still long, but that's OK with me b/c I understand this is normal and one time process to white list files on your PC. I'd rather a program do the initial scan than bombard you with popups during setup phase.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I thought originally that SAP required you to rely on trusted digital certificates or installers, but I was mistaken. You can turn off trust, and then it will evaluate executables on the basis of the hash alone.

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
The page you mentioned in your post takes me to SAP website...I click download trial takes me too download...there are 4 options -
Download full installer - app size 342 MB
Download upgrade patch - app size 160 MB
Installation guide
Uninstallation guide
Can you post here the link? Thanks! :)

D

Deleted member 2913

Here's the download link. Free Download Antivirus & Whitelisting - SecureAPlus

There are two options;

'Full Installer - With Offline AV' - If you don't have an Antivirus (195.68MB)

'Full Installer - Without Offline AV' - If you already have an Antivirus and you want SAP as a companion AV. (151.11MB)
I am from India & SAP India website gives full installer - 342 MB & upgrade patch 160 MB downloads.

I tried .com SAP site (India website is .in) but .com site too takes me too .in site. So I tried USA VPN & entered .com website & there full installer app 195 & full installer without AV app 151 MB.

I am confused why the difference with the installers & that too big And why .in & .com shows different downloads & upgrade patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.