Advice Request WhatsApp is the Most Secure Messaging App

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which of these messaging services do you use?

• Apple (iMessage and FaceTime)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Blackberry Messenger

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Google (Allo, Duo)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Facebook Messenger

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • WhatsApp

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Microsoft (Skype)

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Snapchat

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Telegram

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Tencent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
There is a reason WhatsApp has over a billion users. For one, it's free to use. That's something the majority cares about no matter the consequences. On top of that, it linked accounts via phone numbers, thus allowing to easily discover online contacts using the service instead of having to ask other folks for a number or user name in order to communicate with them.

Of course, that little bit of ease and comfort means uploading the names and numbers of everyone you know to distant servers without the permission of the folks owning said numbers. Also, those messages are now linked to a registered phone number instead of a relatively anonymous user name.

To this day, I keep shaking my head at the success of WA. For years, there were perfect solutions available on ALL devices (Yahoo, AIM, ICQ, etc.), yet everybody and their mother run off to a service that wasn't even available on the desktop for a long time. Heck, I sure as hell won't type messages on a friggin phone while I'm sitting in front of a PC with a perfectly fine keyboard. That fact alone would have made me stay away from WA, not even considerung me having no right to upload third parties' data (phone numbers) I've been entrusted with.

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
You had to be more specific.
You could of said: They never mentioned Google Messenger in the Amnesty International Report.
Google Messenger is encrypted between users but Google can read and will hand over their key to any court ordered search warrant.
Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.