Advice Request WhatsApp is the Most Secure Messaging App

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which of these messaging services do you use?

• Apple (iMessage and FaceTime)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Blackberry Messenger

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Google (Allo, Duo)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Facebook Messenger

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • WhatsApp

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Microsoft (Skype)

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Snapchat

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Telegram

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Tencent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Keep Reading before Voting: WhatsApp beats Telegram to be crowned the most secure messaging app

Although Facebook came out on top, the charity counts WhatsApp and Messenger, with their 2 billion combined users, together in its calculations - and there are some stark differences.

While Whatsapp is “the only app where users are explicitly warned when end-to-end encryption is not applied to a particular chat”, Messenger does not use end-to-end encryption as default and does not tell users that normal conversations in Facebook use less secure forms of encryption.

Amnesty International Full Report: How private are your favourite messaging apps?

encryption-graphic-vertical.jpg

Facebook

Facebook, whose instant messaging apps Messenger and WhatsApp together have 2 billion users, is doing the most to use encryption to respond to human rights threats, and is most transparent about the action it’s taking. WhatsApp is the only app where users are explicitly warned when end-to-end encryption is not applied to a particular chat, but Messenger does not apply end-to-end encryption as a default, and does not warn users that regular conversations use a weaker form of encryption.
Score 73 / 100

Apple
Apple’s iMessage and Facetime apps scored 67 out of 100, providing full end-to-end encryption by default. Apple has also taken a public stance against “encryption backdoors”, and discloses government requests for government data. However the company should do more to notify users within the apps themselves about when their information is protected through end-to-end encryption and when it is not (for example when you send a message to a non-iPhone user).​
Score 67 / 100

Telegram
Telegram Messenger is a messaging app with 100 million monthly active users. It brands itself as a secure messaging app and takes a strong stance on protecting users’ privacy and freedom of expression. It’s therefore surprising that the company does not put in end-to-end encryption as a default, and users receive no warning when they are using weaker encryption.​
Score 67 / 100

Google
Google’s messaging apps are Allo, Duo and Hangouts. There is end-to-end encryption on Duo but it’s only optional on Allo, and Hangouts doesn’t have it at all. Google does disclose government requests for data and has taken a public stance against “encryption backdoors” which would unlock devices or apps and allow governments to access personal data.​
Score 53 / 100

Line
The Line mobile messaging service has more than 200 million active daily users, with the majority in Japan, Indonesia, Thailand and Taiwan. The app scored full marks for providing end-to-end encryption by default in all communication on their messaging apps, but does not do enough to inform users about threats to human rights, and does not publish a transparency report.​
Score 47/ 100

Viber Media
The Viber messaging app has 700 million registered users and almost 250 million active daily users. The company scored full marks for providing end-to-end encryption by default in all communication. But it does not publish a transparency report, or disclose full details of how it is implementing encryption.​
Score 47 / 100

Kakao
The South Korean company owns KakaoTalk, an app with a reported 49 million active monthly users. In October 2014, the company came under significant pressure following reports it had given the South Korean government information about its users. The company subsequently took steps to strengthen its level of encryption, but it is not applying end-to-end encryption as a default​
Score 40 / 100

Microsoft
Microsoft has owned Skype since 2011, and the voice and video calling service now has 300 million active users. Skype has been a major target of government surveillance worldwide. Despite Microsoft’s strong policy commitment to human rights, it is still using a weak form of encryption on Skype.​
Score 40 / 100

Snapchat
The US-based service is used by more than 100 million people every day. Although it has a strong policy commitment towards privacy, in practice it does not do enough to protect its users’ privacy. It does not deploy end-to-end encryption and needs to do more to inform users about how the company is tackling threats to their rights – particularly as Snapchat’s ‘disappearing’ messages may give users a false sense of privacy.​
Score 26 / 100

Blackberry
Blackberry Messenger is reported to have 100 million users, and only offers end-to-end encryption as a paid subscription service. It has made no public commitment to freedom of expression, and does not publish a transparency report.​
Score 20 / 100

Tencent
Tencent owns the two most popular messaging apps in China, WeChat and QQ, and is bottom of our message privacy scorecard, scoring zero out of 100. Not only did it fail to adequately meet any of the criteria, but it was the only company which has not stated publicly that it will not grant government requests to access encrypted messages by building a “backdoor”.​
Score 0 / 100

Amnesty does point out that beyond these factors, there are millions of people using the services on a daily basis with no knowledge of whether their communications could be vulnerable to hackers. “Many of us trust these apps with intimate details of our personal life,” the charity said. “Companies that fail to take basic steps to protect our communications are failing that trust.”

It calls for every company to deploy end-to-end encryption as default and to be transparent with consumers about the level of security they are receiving.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
For me when it comes to privacy and "secure" i would use only Signal or Threema. im a WhatsApp user long time ago. if someone want to write with me over the handy, well he need to be use one of the two. its not that i am ignorant or something. but WhatsApp, FB Massanger and all the other crap have no way on my phone! i always try as much as possible that all my friends and family dont use anything from WhatsApp, Google, Windows and so on.

O

Omnipotent

I only use Snapchat & Skype nowadays only for communicating/sharing stories. I would use Signal otherwise however not many people i know care about their privacy and follow what the majority uses. Facebook used to be good, I've had it since 2008, but now it's filled with click-bait, people posting NSFW profile pictures just for likes as well as facebook's attempt to bypass ad-blockers, they make enough money as it is. That's just my opinion though, i have since deactivated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Well, WA is owned by GrimaceBook, one of the two leading data mining companies in the world. You can't even use it unless you sell them the phone numbers of everyone you know without their permission. The pope could rate it most-secure and I wouldn't use it.

I use either iMessage or Threema. Both have a business model that lets me pay with my money instead of my data.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
The only thing I have with singal is that there are not a lot of users on it, so if I want to talk to my friends or colleagues I have to use Whatsapp or Telegram instead. Which also has a high degree of encryption. Even though telelgram doesn't give end to end as a default, it's only doing this so that the chats can be synced across devices through a server based platform instead of whatsapp's platform where user's phones have to be online even while using the web app

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
The only thing I have with singal is that there are not a lot of users on it, so if I want to talk to my friends or colleagues I have to use Whatsapp or Telegram instead. Which also has a high degree of encryption. Even though telelgram doesn't give end to end as a default, it's only doing this so that the chats can be synced across devices through a server based platform instead of whatsapp's platform where user's phones have to be online even while using the web app
I agree there aren't many people on it, which sucks. I was going to stop using it because of that but figured that I should solve my own problem by getting more people to use it rather than not using it myself.

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I agree there aren't many people on it, which sucks. I was going to stop using it because of that but figured that I should solve my own problem by getting more people to use it rather than not using it myself.
The problem with that is not a lot of people are familiar with the added functionalities of Signal so it's a little hard to convince them to join you instead of just using whatsapp which almost everyone has.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Problem for those product is they focus on ease and convenience.

The security comes for yourself to always alert on providing information, because those messengers are not liable for untoward incidents.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
WhatsApp has over a billion of users. This means that of course it must offer features of users data and privacy protection.
WhatsApp end-to-end encryption involves the content of messages, chat groups and media files: the content is safe, absolutely, but it's necessary to say that WhatsApp also collects metadata, that is generic data ok, but that can still be functional in a police investigation, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.