New Update Messenger - Wider rollout for E2E encryption

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Starting today, millions more people’s chats on Messenger will be upgraded to stronger encryption standards as part of our ongoing end-to-end encryption (E2EE) testing. We remain on track to launch default E2EE for one-to-one friends and family chats on Messenger by the end of the year. And as we increase the scale of testing, we wanted to provide an update on how we’ve approached this large and complex engineering challenge.

Background
Since 2019, a team of Meta’s engineers, cryptographers, designers and policy experts have been working on the challenge of bringing additional encryption to Messenger and Instagram DMs.

However, it quickly became apparent that transitioning our services to E2EE would be an incredibly complex and challenging engineering puzzle. We would have to rewrite almost the entire messaging and calling code base from scratch.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Gee, I wonder if we'll eventually be able to chat with other people and not have FB reading or blocking the chats? I've had political stuff on FB removed for being 'against community standards,' and tried to send it to friends via chat, and had FB block it in the chat as being 'against community standards.' Seems to me if 2 people have the same views regarding a political issue, they ought to be able to exchange them in private chat.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Gee, I wonder if we'll eventually be able to chat with other people and not have FB reading or blocking the chats? I've had political stuff on FB removed for being 'against community standards,' and tried to send it to friends via chat, and had FB block it in the chat as being 'against community standards.' Seems to me if 2 people have the same views regarding a political issue, they ought to be able to exchange them in private chat.
agree, but there are (I assume there must be) better apps for chatting privately and with solid encryption... interesting post, but I don't trust the content. just reminded myself of x-files, trust no one.

Reactions: Chuck57 and Nevi

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
GAB, another social media site uses end to end encryption that (they say) is unreadable, plus it gets deleted after 30 days. All of my family and friends use Farcebook and refuse to leave. GAB is a scary place though. I'm extremely right wing, but there are people there that I would not wish to meet in real life.

• Wow
Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.