When bugs aren't bugs...

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
You know the story, we've all heard it. It comes in all sizes and flavors, but it's always a story of an unsolvable bug, a mysterious little bugger that can't be gotten rid of, no matter how much the dedicated programmers @ Company Y try to do so.

For example: Comodo and the file upload system of CIS, which has been broken for how long -- I can't remember. Maybe they can't fix it, but maybe they don't want to fix it. Maybe it's just easier to say (or, rather, to hide behind volunteer mods who say for them) that this is a bug, that they are trying to hunt it down and solve it, while in reality they are just buying some time. Anyways, whatever the case, this is just speculation, and I wish Melih's team all the best.

Now a more blatant example is Baidu PC Faster. Why is this not a surprise? I mean... I could have started with Baidu Antivirus, because it will eventually install PC Faster, which will eventually install Baidu PC App Store (a part of PC Faster). And Baidu PC App Store will suggest updates for your programs, and can even update them for you. How nice of it. But among the updates, and still labelled as updates, you will find new applications that you don't have on your PC. So they are not updates, but new installations, passed on to you as if they were updates. And they just so happen to be the likes of giants, such as Line, and not some random, lesser-known programs. Wow, what a bug to have on your program, heh. Promoting some apps to millions of users for free, I mean, what are they thinking, right?

:D Anyway, please remember to take your pinch of salt (and your tequila, if you will) with this short message. And thank you for reading.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.