When you overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
Interested in overclocking (definition: everything that has higher frequency than by default)? a good thump rule says that overclocking 10-15% is okey without worrying to much about it.

A aftermark cpu/gpu cooler is suggested if overclocking is intended; the stocker do not have the capacity to handle higher frequency than the default. Watercoolers are at the moment the best solution for a good price and for space saving; they are getting more popular as well as wanted. Nitrogen-cooling is possible though.

Always try to overclock, aka oc, with small internvals, test if the system is stable enough, by using prime95, for the cpu and OCC, futuremark for gpu, as stability testing. A suggest time for this is 2h or more depending how the computer is meant to be used. Take time.

Before staring to mess with voltage, it's suggested that the frequency is increased as much as possible by increasing the multiplier until the computer begins to give strange behavior such as blue screen of death, aka bsod; this means that the cpu can't produce the frequency at given V-value.

CPU get overclocked in bios, it might be different story for laptops. MSI Afterburner is an excellent gpu overclocking unit. You migh need to unlock the Voltage regulator, in order to adjust V. A general tip: stay within the recommended V-value otherwise the cpu/gpu might get destroyed as well as damaging other components. There is a reason why the manufacturer publish the values.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
how about you tell me what you have and I will help you overclock it, unless it's a server then you SOL.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
pcjunklist said:
how about you tell me what you have and I will help you overclock it, unless it's a server then you SOL.

I will once I have desktop :) As far as I know overclocking a laptop is a bad idea due to the very limited power that the power supply unit gives.

Should I adjust something my first post to make the this thread good advice thread?

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
May 25, 2011
Never Oc a laptop its not just the limit power but the heat aswell.

Most Laptop builders Normally lock off certain things in the bios so there's no changing memory timings or volts witch is good

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
Nathan Wootton said:
Never Oc a laptop its not just the limit power but the heat aswell.

Most Laptop builders Normally lock off certain things in the bios so there's no changing memory timings or volts witch is good

It won't produce that much more heat if the V-value is the same. Maybe a bit; I have overclocked my nvidia 540m from 672 -> 700 MHz and it doesn't produce more heat, if any at all. I normally I should be able to oc it to 740MHz without problem, like a nvidia 550M, since that would be 10% oc.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
the only laptops that OC are usually done @ factory, the gaming laptops can handle the OC because they have much better cooling systems built in. A regular laptop has a tiny fan. I remember when you OC'ed a computer you had a good chance of destroying the chip and it was not allowed by the manufacturers. Now companies release utilities that make it so easy my grandmother could overclock a pc.

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
May 25, 2011
You grandma probably could OC ad pc but the best a safest way is through the bios, then i doubt she could through the bios ;0) .
i never use any Utilities to OC Eric taught me well. http://www.motherboards.org/

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
pcjunklist said:
the only laptops that OC are usually done @ factory, the gaming laptops can handle the OC because they have much better cooling systems built in.

Clevo/Sager notebook is such and maybe an MSI GTX-laptops. Asus will only throttle.

I know this from people and their ATI/AMD radeon 6990M are 70C at full load so there is oc potential

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Nathan Wootton said:
You grandma probably could OC ad pc but the best a safest way is through the bios, then i doubt she could through the bios ;0) .
i never use any Utilities to OC Eric taught me well. http://www.motherboards.org/

well it was just for emphasis, she can barely remember her name. Bios is the best way to OC, still easier now than before. I don't call increasing a cpu clock ratio on sandy bridge or increasing bclk on previous chips to be very difficult. You don't even need to mess with the voltages anymore the system can be set to auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.