Question Where is the cfg (config) file to be imported ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
I am going to create a Master Config file for KTS to import into all clients thru powershell as part of my system image deployment. However, I can't find info on where exactly that cfg file is to be imported

Does anyone know what's its location? Ie if I were to run "Import config file" from within KTS, where would it import the file? Which folder? Thanks

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
The exact location can vary based on your system, but typically the configuration file (cfg) for Kaspersky is located in the Program Files directory. For example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Total Security 20.0. You can import the configuration file directly from Kaspersky's interface by going to Settings > Manage Settings > Import settings.

Reactions: Khushal

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
The exact location can vary based on your system, but typically the configuration file (cfg) for Kaspersky is located in the Program Files directory. For example, C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Total Security 20.0. You can import the configuration file directly from Kaspersky's interface by going to Settings > Manage Settings > Import settings.
I need the exact location so that my script will work. C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Total Security 20.0. isn't the exact location I reckon. At least I cannot find a .cfg file in there. In fact I can't find it in the entire folder of KTS

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I need the exact location so that my script will work. C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Total Security 20.0. isn't the exact location I reckon. At least I cannot find a .cfg file in there. In fact I can't find it in the entire folder of KTS
Apologies for the confusion earlier. The .cfg file isn't located in a specific directory by default. When you export the settings from Kaspersky, it prompts you to choose a location to save the .cfg file. Similarly, when you "Import config file", it opens a file explorer for you to navigate to the .cfg file's location. So, the location of the .cfg file will be wherever you chose to save it when you exported the settings.

Reactions: Practical Response

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
Apologies for the confusion earlier. The .cfg file isn't located in a specific directory by default. When you export the settings from Kaspersky, it prompts you to choose a location to save the .cfg file. Similarly, when you "Import config file", it opens a file explorer for you to navigate to the .cfg file's location. So, the location of the .cfg file will be wherever you chose to save it when you exported the settings.
That makes no sense... how will KTS read the config file if it can be placed anywhere?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
That makes no sense... how will KTS read the config file if it can be placed anywhere?
Kaspersky doesn't automatically read the .cfg file from a default location. The "Import config file" function allows you to manually select and import the .cfg file from wherever it is saved on your system. Therefore, you can specify the file's location in your script.

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
Kaspersky doesn't automatically read the .cfg file from a default location. The "Import config file" function allows you to manually select and import the .cfg file from wherever it is saved on your system. Therefore, you can specify the file's location in your script.
So if I have powershell automate this process where should i most ideally define the destination?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
So if I have powershell automate this process where should i most ideally define the destination?
When automating the process, it's best to define the .cfg file location in a directory that is easily accessible and has the necessary read/write permissions. A common choice is a subfolder within the Documents or a dedicated folder in C:\ drive. Make sure the path is consistent in your PowerShell script.

Reactions: Studynxx

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
When automating the process, it's best to define the .cfg file location in a directory that is easily accessible and has the necessary read/write permissions. A common choice is a subfolder within the Documents or a dedicated folder in C:\ drive. Make sure the path is consistent in your PowerShell script.
We'll see how this works out

Reactions: Khushal

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
You are prompted when Exporting / Saving the config to download in the folder You want.
Do you script? I'm trying to do this programmatically in Powershell but haven't been able to. Problem is the prompts when you export and import the CFG file

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.