Which antivirus does repair the system?

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
antivirus like tencent pc manager, baidu, Qihoo 360 total security does have system repair engine.
kaspersky does rollback changes by malware.

Which other antivirus does system repair?

Or is the antivirus job to protect the system settings before it happen?

Reactions: sunil22

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
What scope of repair do you mean?

MBAM (though not an AV) can do repairs too.

some of these repairs can include any of the following
  • enabling taskman
  • enabling regedit
  • enabling CMD
  • deleting BHOs
  • removing PUPs from starting up
  • enabling Windows Update
  • enabling Firewall
  • removing IFEO entries
  • etc, etc
Mostly, these AVs are considered broad spectrum, while some malware might need a dedicated tool for removal and repair.

Reactions: Kuttz and sunil22

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I think Kaspersky has the ability to carry out advanced repair(s) to the system. After the malware removal is complete, Kaspersky will launch 'Microsoft Windows Troubleshooting' to try and deal with the aftermath of malware infections.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Webroot has always been discussed, it includes journal and rollback feature which you will set based on capacity of MB to revert any possible changes.

Usually disinfection process must be properly done by bootable of their AV rescue disk, unless I'm wrong where they are same to the AV you use to protect the system.

D

Deleted member 178

no AV fully repair your OS after a malware infection, you have to use dedicated tools (all-in-one windows repair, FMA ,etc..) that restore the OS various parameters usually disabled by malwares. BUt this tools are efficient for low/medium infections.

In case of a heavy infection , i prefer reinstall the OS..

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Usually disinfection process must be properly done by bootable of their AV rescue disk

With Mid and Low-treats, disinfection can be done in Normal Mode using the AV of your choice. High-treat like sality can be removed using a PE environment. Other nasty malwares can be disabled via offline registry editing or can be manually removed using a bootable CD/DVD/USB (Linux included, if you know where to hunt these critters) Continuation of the removal process can be performed still in Normal Mode.

You can also do disinfection in Safe Mode.

When I was just starting in this field, I use Boot CDs or Bootable AVs right away, or start with Safe Mode. As I mature, I always start in Normal Mode, if not successful will use a Bootable USB then to Safe Mode.

unless I'm wrong where they are same to the AV you use to protect the system.

Most of the time, I uninstall the AV first. No point of using it if it is compromised already. Better replace it with a new one when all malwares are disabled from starting up.

Reactions: sunil22 and frogboy

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Dr.Web & Kaspersky (as antivirus)
Comodo Cleaning Essentials & AdwCleaner & MalwareBytes (as removal tools)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.