Battle which antivirus is the best for window8

Status
Not open for further replies.

superboy123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2012
Hello guys,can you help me to choose which antivirus is good for window 8....

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
RE: which antivirus is the best for window8b

What are you looking for? Free or Paid? Security Suite or Stand alone Antivirus? There are many options both paid and free

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012

Just Installed windows 8 on my laptop and Windows defender is working well on it ....
indeed very well :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

All the kwnon security developers support Windows 8, so it's just a matter of choice as you aren't restricted in any way when trying to settle on a product!
Why do you think that your previous Windows 7 antivirus won't run as well on Windows 8?

Other notes:
AV-Comparatives test in 2012 have as a top choices Bitdefender and Kaspersky.
[attachment=3124]
Avast and Comodo are my personal choices however each user might have different preferences according to their level of PC knowldge.

Attachments

• avc.jpg
    avc.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 552

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Except for Avira which doesn't support Windows 8, as of date.

1. Check that the product is Compatible with Windows 8.
2. Check the reviews for the stability and how it performs.
3. Try and Decide whether it's something you want to use (or previously used -see below).
4. You will find that running Product x on Windows 7 will be the same as on Windows 8, under most circumstances.
5. If you are running Windows RT, you can only use Windows Defender.

Windows Defender provides decent protection, alongside it's other protection methods (ie. SmartScreen and UAC) etc.

Some products are designed to use Windows 8 ELAM feature (as used in WD). You can read further about ELAM here and here.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Comodo Firewall/IS. This is based primarily around a HIPS system, meaning that whenever an unknown program/file is attempting to access another program/file, the Internet or if an unknown IP address is attempting to connect, it'll ask you whether or not you want to approve it or block it. You'll need some idea as to what you're doing for this. If not, Avast! Free and Malwarebytes offer pretty decent security.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I have found that kaspersky works really well on Windows 8 and uses all the new features like ELAM and the improved Action Center. ESET works as well, however it block the computer while it is loading for 10 - 20 seconds. It is a shame to have a ten second boot time only to have ESET ruin it by doing .. nothing apparently.

Avira gave me BSODs, however they do not officially support it yet so i wont hold that against them :)

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
arsenaloyal said:
Why do you need an antivirus for Windows 8 ? Its the only MS OS that comes preloaded with an antivirus!

Which is fine for most day to day purposes, but if you share files with people with shady hard drives you might want an upgrade :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I do many things online like banking,Paypal,purchases among others and although the preloaded AV provided in Windows 8 might be fine for some users I prefer 3rd party security programs.

I have tested the following on Windows 8:

Avira Internet Security 2013 > Installed just to see the compatibility issues still exist after patches.Version: 13.0.0.278 Installed and Updated without problems

Kis 2013 > worked very well,good features with less boot time than on Windows 7

Eset Smart Security 5 & 6 RC > Worked well but as iPanik said it had a slower boot time.Version 5 had a couple hiccups on Installation

Bitdefender Internet Security > worked good and was light on my system

Comodo Internet Security 6 > works great,is light and has good features and running this presently

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I just installed Windows 8 on my other hard drive, now I have dual boot with Windows 7. I was going to add Avast to it but Windows Defender and Windows Firewall is doing fantastic, so why change when something is working that good?

So I would recommend keeping Windows Defender with the default UAC setting, you can however add a layer protection with Malwarebytes Pro, Sandboxie and some browser security extensions like WOT, LastPass, etc.

I really don't think malware can get past UAC, unless you allow it to.
Just watch and only allow processes that you know are safe.
If you use UAC to its full potential by always reading and paying attention, it will not fail you.

The SmartScreen on IE10 is also very good but doesn't get everything.
Don't download files that are not known to be safe. IE10 is the first version that I don't mind using. Google Chrome runs extremely light on Windows 8, still probably the best choice for default browser.

Enjoy!!:D

D

Deleted member 178

I left the built-in Win8 security features (aka Windows Defender & Firewall) on my girlfriend laptop since now 1 month, she got no infections, and she likes the fast responsiveness of her system not being hampered by a 3rd party security solution.

for daily normal usage , it is enough; now if you test malwares/AVs and have risky habits, a stronger protection is needed.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
I left the built-in Win8 security features (aka Windows Defender & Firewall) on my girlfriend laptop since now 1 month, she got no infections, and she likes the fast responsiveness of her system not being hampered by a 3rd party security solution.

for daily normal usage , it is enough; now if you test malwares/AVs and have risky habits, a stronger protection is needed.

Well,I actually thought it would have been enough if you actually gave her MBAM or Hitman pro...just in case...I don't notice any performance issues with them both running on my system along with ESS/Shadow defender/WinPatrol Plus and many security add-ons for Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.