Which antivirus uses Bitdefender Engine?????

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Both would be correct, but also depends when each article was last updated.

Reactions: PVA_BR and arsh

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
avcomparative data is very accurate. No reason to doubt it.

Reactions: arsh

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
They are way too many to mention, BitDefender is one of the only Antivirus vendors that allows third-party developers to make exact clones of the products including many not so popular rogue developers and they resell the products with a higher price tag. For example look at Auslogics Antivirus, the only thing that was changed is its name everything else is an exact copy of BitDefender. For awhile Acronis had their version of BitDefender clone but it has been removed from their site, I guess it didn't sell very well.

Thanks. :D

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
A bigger question is that while so many products use bitdefender engine then why the detection rate is not the same.

ANTIVIRUS_TEST_RESULT_DEC_2013.jpg

As you can see bitdefender and f secure is a top with 99% detection rate.

But emsisoft is with 98%

Yet bullguard, esan, gdata, qihoo has even lower than 96%

gdata, qihoo uses multiple antivirus engine so they must be above or very near bitdefender. but thats not the case in test result.

One can also argue that test results are rigged.
one thing i am certainly sure of is avast, avira cannot have such high detection rate.

Wodkakiller

Verified
Dec 28, 2013

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
A bigger question is that while so many products use bitdefender engine then why the detection rate is not the same.

But emsisoft is with 98%

gdata, qihoo uses multiple antivirus engine so they must be above or very near bitdefender. but thats not the case in test result.

one thing i am certainly sure of is avast, avira cannot have such high detection rate.

Keep in mind this is a "real world protection" test, not based solely on detection;)
If you look at "detection" alone the results seem more in tune:
cw-vwbebamdizvatvrulcmk.jpg

Also, notice how Kaspersky is not at the top in this particular test!;)

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013

But emsisoft is with 98%

i know for sure that avast does not have a high detection rate

Reactions: arsh and Venustus

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The higher the detection rate according to AV tests, the higher the number of false positives of safe files.
The one thing I hate about an AV is detecting files that I know for sure are safe.
Ask yourself do you really need an AV with the highest detection rate?
Unless you are a user who is reckless, clicks on everything and downloads files from suspicious sources, all you need is a AV that is light on resources and low on false positives. Utilize UAC prompts (don't approve anything that you don't know for sure is safe) and never download files unless you know they are safe.

Malware has to be manually downloaded and installed by the user, watch your actions and forget about detection rate according to AV tests because it is not important. You may encounter malware that wasn't even in the testing samples and might not encounter any of the malware that was tested giving that product a high detection rate. No AV's will detect everything, it is how you decide to deal with suspicious files when you want to download or install a program.

If a user controls their own actions then Microsoft Security Essential or Windows Defender will keep them safe if they also pay attention and utilize UAC. Detection rate is just a scam to promote sales of products, their is no proof that one product will protect each individual user in the same way compared to other products.

Thanks. :D

arsh

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
Me too i never trust these tests.... But then i think the difference is how these antivirus detects malware.... Some block them during execution & some delete them as they are stored on HDD..... Many AV vendors develop generic signatures like 1 generic signature can detect many different malware having common code....

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.