Advice Request Which browsers are best for privacy?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Stronghold

Level 1
May 27, 2022
holy cow! Brave and LibreWolf has the best scores. a few hours ago i've installed LibreWolf and everything runs well 'till now.
These tests are done straight after install without any hardening.

Firefox can get the same results as LibreWolf but you will have to read up on how to keep Arkenfox settings up to date. With LibreWolf they did most of the work for you but the downside of LibreWolf is that there is no auto-update function and even if there was you are always a few days behind.
Brave has impressive out of the box results and would be my choice if you want a Chromium browser.

Between LibreWolf and Firefox, I would harden Firefox and disable telemetry but it's a little more work because you have to look at the hardening change log each release and run the tools.
LibreWolf is more convenient but you have to trust the developers and be sure to check for updates manually.

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014

Firefox can get the same results as LibreWolf but you will have to read up on how to keep Arkenfox settings up to date. With LibreWolf they did most of the work for you but the downside of LibreWolf is that there is no auto-update function and even if there was you are always a few days behind.
Brave has impressive out of the box results and would be my choice if you want a Chromium browser.

Between LibreWolf and Firefox, I would harden Firefox and disable telemetry but it's a little more work because you have to look at the hardening change log each release and run the tools.
LibreWolf is more convenient but you have to trust the developers and be sure to check for updates manually.
Yes, @SecureKongo talked about that in another thread, for newbies (like me) maybe is better go with LibreWolf or Brave, hardener needs knowledge and know how and what need to be edited.

Stronghold

Level 1
May 27, 2022

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Regarding the update.

If I'm not wrong, when you start LW it'll notify you at the bottom of the right-hand corner that there's a new version available (if available) provided you install the LW update extension................and it'll download and install for you.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I installed LibreWolf a couple of weeks ago on second attempt runs great after intial teething problems (not cauased by the Wolf) , probably easiest browser there is to install - No problems at all with it now, set as my default, good to see the score here, replaced Brave - Sumo gives update status too, as easy to update as any other browser.

Last edited:

Wontkins

Level 1
May 9, 2022
The so called "privacy-safe browser" that mails you a letter to your house with a unique tracking code :ROFLMAO:

Just the optics of this look really bad for a supposed privacy oriented browser. You'd think the marketing folks would have recognized this before implementing it. The guy from Brave that chimed in didn't really change my mind about them any.

One thing with the LIbreWolf browser they use the light theme by default and if you change the RFP settings then they feel you don't care about fingerprinting. That's not the case but my eyes are real light sensitive and I hate that bright white light background. I always change it on FF to a black background on all pages. So I'm wondering if I change the RFP if it would really be much better than me just staying with Firefox with some hardening. Today I just didn't feel like messing with LibreWolf (hey it's Monday morning) so I'll stick with FF as my main browser for now.

When I added the LibreWolf updater I noticed Voodooshield didn't like it calling it unsafe.

Reactions: Nevi and plat

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Brave is also mostly focused on crypto, big red flag. I don’t care about telemetry, and am skeptical of anything that pushes crypto so hard.

There is no free lunch, Brave is paying its development costs with crypto stuff and their special "privacy" oriented ads, while being upfront about all that.

Brave has made significant progress in the privacy front (technologically and ideologically) and it seems to be the last reliable mainstream player in that arena considering Mozilla submission and financial dependency from Google.

I appreciate projects like LibreWolf and Bromite, but they are not close to what Brave has been delivering.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.