Which Chrome extensions should I install for privacy, no ads & stop crypto miners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalisto

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2017
What are the best Google Chrome extensions to protect my privacy, hide ads, no bitcoin?
thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the best Google Chrome extensions to protect my privacy, hide ads, no bitcoin?
thank you!

You just need a decent adblocker. That's it. There's uBlock Origin or Adguard.

Don't fall for the extension-crazed advice to add 10,000,000 filters and 17 different browser extensions. It is absolutely unnecessary and does nothing except consume system resources.

It's unfortunate, but you're gonna get all kinds of well-meaning, but over-the-top advice here that will likely just confuse you more than anything else.

Stick to the basics. The basics will serve you better than anything else.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
People here would surely recommend uBlock Origin
I'd recommend Adguard or Avira Browser Safety because they're less popular so less anti-adblocking problems.
Easylist/Adguard Base+EasyPrivacy+Fanboy's/Adguard's Social Media+Fanboy's Anti-Facebook would block most things - ergo, just avoid overlap.

Some people will advise you not to install 10+ extensions. They are right because they only surf Wilders and MT lor

:)

Nope. It's based upon real-world data.

The data shows that people that use a single extension using the defaults do not get infected at a higher rate than someone who installs a bunch of extensions and imports a bunch of filters.

The data shows that "gaming" the extensions is a waste of effort.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
thank you!
Ublock origin can do all this, just learn the medium mode

With ublock origin you could use the following if you want to ( not really needed, as above comments said, its up to you)
-Netcraft against phishing
-Malwarebytes extension against malware, scams, pups

; malwarebytes extension tend to slow your browsing a little, so you could replace it with bitdefender trafficlight or microsoft browser protection

But your antivirus should do the malware/pup/scam filtering so all you basically need is the ublock origin after all

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
choose one of the below extensions
1. MalwareBytes
2. Avira Browser Safety
3. Bitdefender Trafficlight plus Adguard with English and Spyware/privacy filter (enable optimized filters)

Evandro

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 20, 2014
I would like to suggest you..... * UBLOCK ORIGIN *, wot, poper blocker and https everywhere.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Last edited:

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
uBlock Origin (add nanodefender filters) + Malwarebytes browser extension/bitdefender TL, and if you want you can add Privacy Possum.

Reactions: harlan4096
E

Eddie Morra

I'm a user of AdGuard because I like them as a company and it works well for me; I used to be a user of uBlock Origin and it worked very well for me.

no bitcoin
There's a popular open-source list called NoCoin which many ad-blockers support: hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list

I recommend that you to do not go over-the-top with configurations on any ad-blocker because doing so can cause performance reduction and extra hassle with unexpected content blocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.