Which cloud storage prefer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTRUTH

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 10, 2013
There are lots of cloud storage services out there, which one you prefer from privacy and security stand point??

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
For me it has to be Dropbox. Have been with it for a while now and love it.

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Hi!

Skydrive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/ro-ro/skydrive/download

Have a nice day!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've used 3 major cloud storages" Dropbox, Google Drive and Skydrive.

On security, as possible its encrypted with strongest keys so that may not cracked easily by hackers.

For privacy, it varies on statement they declared.

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
Skydrive and Dropbox.I use strong encription for my files and I don't put anything sensitive in the cloud.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nedim said:
and I don't put anything sensitive in the cloud.

Exactly like me! All my personal pictures and whatnot are on an external HDD, for safe keeping.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Nedim said:
Skydrive and Dropbox.I use strong encription for my files and I don't put anything sensitive in the cloud.

That's a good thing. Cloud storage providers claim to provide good security, but thats not true. Though they do everything on their part, but hackers can always get past them. Many big companies sites get hacked, even-though they have lots of security. Anything online can never be totally safe.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Here are some links that may be useful:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413556,00.asp

http://www.zdnet.com/the-top-10-personal-cloud-storage-services-7000011729/

http://www.leopardblog.com/best-cloud-storage-providers/

http://gizmodo.com/5990589/the-best-way-to-store-your-stuff-in-the-cloud

Enjoy!!:D

timnik

Verified
Feb 27, 2013
TheTRUTH said:
There are lots of cloud storage services out there, which one you prefer from privacy and security stand point??

From these points of view, use Tresorit, Wuala, and SpiderOak as it is claimed that your files are encrypted on your computer so that even employees cannot peek into your files even if they wanted to.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't use Cloud storage, but for each I would prefer:
Privacy
  • Secure connection from PC-to-Server and Server-to-"Authorised Device"
    OTFE
Security
  • Multi-factor Authentication

That also means services should not scan my files for viruses/malware (ie. Norton Zone, Malwarebytes Secure Backup).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Scanning the files for viruses/malware is a must since they are on place for uploading malware samples that hides like Zip files.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
I quest you talking about cloud storage with files that are associate security and privacy?
And as far as Cloud Storage for me I think about on online backup! In which there is no
security and privacy. This is why most/not all end users use an external drive for storage.
From other vendors selling their information.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I disagree. A file may be scanned on my PC, but I wouldn't want a partnered AV vendor scanning my files without my permission, just because it's "more safer for sharing".

jamescv7 said:
Scanning the files for viruses/malware is a must since they are on place for uploading malware samples that hides like Zip files.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I will have to agree with Earth because most AV scanners will identify some safe harmless files as malicious and delete them from their servers without warning.

I have had to deal with this before, go to check some of my files and found them missing.

So I would to prefer to use a file hosting service that doesn't scan my uploaded files.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Littlebits said:
I will have to agree with Earth because most AV scanners will identify some safe harmless files as malicious and delete them from their servers without warning.

I have had to deal with this before, go to check some of my files and found them missing.

So I would to prefer to use a file hosting service that doesn't scan my uploaded files.

Thanks.:D

Seems there's a point, caused FP's cannot prevented in many ways.

In MBAM Secure Backup, they will notify if the file infected before uploading the file. But different when monitoring the file through server uploader already.

However abused users have the power to upload malicious files on most cloud storage like Mediafire, Rapidshare, and others when no AV's engine included.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's always been that way, especially on P2P networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.