Troubleshoot Which CPU fan is better?

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Thank you very much for the answer. The CPU fan I have is already old. But I don't know whether to change it or not. I hope to hear more opinions. Thank you very much friend. Best regards.

Reactions: AlanOstaszewski
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
But I don't know whether to change it or not
Coolers don't go bad. It is just a hunk of metal. Assuming it properly cooled your CPU when new, If the fan is still spinning properly, and the cured bond of the TIM (thermal interface material) has not been broken, there's no need to do anything. Just make sure the case interior (and heatsink fan assembly) is clean of heat trapping dust.

Remember, it is the case's responsibility to provide an adequate supply of cool air flowing through the case. The CPU cooler need only toss the CPU's heat into that flow.

Also, there is no need to replace TIM just because X amount of time has passed. Only if the cured bond is broken do you need to replace it. There is not one TIM maker, CPU maker, GPU maker, cooler maker, PC maker, or motherboard maker who says TIM needs to be replaced periodically. Not one! TIM will easily last 10, 15 years or longer - AS LONG AS the cured bond is not broken (through abuse or, ironically, twisting to see if broken! :rolleyes:).

If you "need" the extra few degrees a fresh application of TIM might provide to prevent instability or thermal protection features from kicking in, you have much greater problems than aging TIM and they need to be addressed first. These include dust build up, failing or inadequate case cooling, or improper overclocking.

Remember too, the purpose of TIM is to fill the microscopic pits and valleys in the mating surfaces between the CPU and heatsink to prevent insulating air from getting in. Even if the TIM dries, the solids left behind are still doing their job of keeping that insulating air out. It does not need to be replaced if dry. Note the only reason TIM comes in liquified form is so it can be squeezed out of the tube and spread evenly across the CPU die.

There is greater risk of damaging the CPU, pins or socket through mishandling or ESD than from over heating, again, AS LONG AS the cured bond remains intact.

Upvote 0

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
If you notice that your CPU frequency is constantly dropping down, then you need to buy a thermo paste. You have a very nice CPU cooler and with it you can overclock also your CPU. If your CPU cooler gets too noisy, you can buy a new CPU cooler or adjust it via the BIOS.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
If you notice that your CPU frequency is constantly dropping down, then you need to buy a thermo paste.
Sorry, but no. Perhaps you missed my previous post while you were typing yours.

If your frequency is constantly dropping, you have other problems. The only way TIM can affect frequency is if the CPU is overheating and thermal protection modes are kicking in. So monitor your temps first. Again, TIM does not suddenly go bad unless the cured bond is broken.

Reactions: AlanOstaszewski
Upvote 0

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Both look good to me.
nowadays processor does not generate a lot of heat, unless you go for overclocking.
Just get a good thermal paste. that's what matters the most.

Reactions: AtlBo
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
nowadays processor does not generate a lot of heat, unless you go for overclocking.
Just get a good thermal paste. that's what matters the most.
It depends on the processor. There are many current processors that generate a lot of heat at default clocks. The Ryzen 7 1800X, for example, tops out at 95°C. But that is really immaterial since we must go by the processor being used - which may not be a current model.

And what matters most is to just use TIM and apply it properly. Even basic silicon paste is much better than nothing and it is better than the best TIM that's been applied improperly.
I was just talking from my experience. With my old amd cpu, the frequency at full load was higher with new paste than the frequency before application.
That may be but it was not because your old paste was "old".

The cured bond was broken, the case was full of dust, air vents or air filters were clogged, the heatsink was caked with dust, the case was not providing a sufficient flow of cool air, the CPU fan was not spinning up to speed, the voltages were off, clocking was done improperly or any combination of the above was affecting temperatures which caused the throttling. Not the TIM getting old.

Some TIMs are certainly better than others from the start. And all TIMs degrade a few degrees - but that is typically less than 5°C. If 5°C makes that big a difference, computer heat management was not adequate from the start and heat related issues were likely present, or imminent from the start too.

So again, if replacing the TIM alone provides the few degrees below the CPU's threshold to prevent thermal protection from kicking in, there are more problems than just the TIM (assuming it was initially applied properly and the bond is still intact).

Upvote 0

n0k0m3

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2017
CRYORIG C7 heatsink and Noctua L9i fan (or any high performance noctua fan) if you want small footprint
Or Noctua NH D15 if you have a mobo with good spacing and supported case

Reactions: AtlBo
Upvote 0

eonline

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
CRYORIG C7 heatsink and Noctua L9i fan (or any high performance noctua fan) if you want small footprint
Or Noctua NH D15 if you have a mobo with good spacing and supported case

That model of Noctua is very expensive in my country. Thank you very much friend.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.