1. Comodo Firewall

2. Private Firewall

3. Online Armour Premium

4 Outpost Firewall Pro

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
You shouldn't have untrusted applications on your system to begin with.
If you do, then either yourself and/or your AV has failed you, that has no to do with a firewall.

No failure at all...

I have several applications that I trust on my machine, but they have no valid reason for connecting to the internet as far as I'm concerned. So I block access.

With a hardware firewall, you lack the ability to deny an application access to your network adapter.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
Littlebits said:
You shouldn't have untrusted applications on your system to begin with.
If you do, then either yourself and/or your AV has failed you, that has no to do with a firewall.

No failure at all...

I have several applications that I trust on my machine, but they have no valid reason for connecting to the internet as far as I'm concerned. So I block access.

With a hardware firewall, you lack the ability to deny an application access to your network adapter.

Could you give me some examples of these programs? If a program is trying to connect to the web, there has to be a reason and if it is a trusted program, then it couldn't be a malicious reason.

Maybe to checks for updates or send bug reports, some programs download news, etc.

But I do agree, I like to know what is connecting to the web. That's why I use ZoneAlarm Free, it has application control just like other firewalls with HIPS, but has no HIPS, it does check programs and downloads with Kaspersky for malicious content and keeps logs for me.

Good day.:D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Windows XP. LOL

Actually, I do not even use that. I have no actual firewall unless you consider a behavior blocker a quasi firewall.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Maybe to checks for updates or send bug reports, some programs download news, etc.

Exactly. I'm not worried about any sort of nefarious communications, I just prefer control over when they can and can not connect.

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
hiya guys just one thing about PRIVATEFIREWALL is DONT INSTALL IT i have a problem when uninstall it now i have to get someone in to fix my computer by factory system recovery to swip my computer and re-install windows 7 so becareful with privatefirewall.

D

Deleted member 178

rebel4life said:
hiya guys just one thing about PRIVATEFIREWALL is DONT INSTALL IT i have a problem when uninstall it now i have to get someone in to fix my computer by factory system recovery to swip my computer and re-install windows 7 so becareful with privatefirewall.

an old sage said : "What happened to your system may not happened to others"

P

Plexx

rebel4life said:

Before simply saying don't install, it would be better to say what exactly happened and if there was conflict with other software.

On a side note I never had any issues with PF on stock settings at all.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Biozfear said:
rebel4life said:

Before simply saying don't install, it would be better to say what exactly happened and if there was conflict with other software.

He posted off topic in another thread stating:

rebel4life said:
please be careful with privatefirewall it screwed up my internet and network settings and lost internet for a day

I think that is kind of a legit reason for recommending people not to install it.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Biozfear said:
rebel4life said:

They are many reasons why users have issues with using, installing, upgrading and uninstalling firewalls with HIPS. This applies to all of them not just Privatefirewall in general.

1. Sloppy installers and uninstallers:
A good installer or uninstaller should take the necessary precautions to check for incompatible software, allow options to remove incompatible software, create system restore points before installing and offer complete removal in case of problems. None of them do it or offer a complete removal tool. Most will leave behind network and boot drivers that have to be pulled out by the roots to fix problems.

2. Incompatible software and drivers: Users should always check the product's website and user forums for reported issues. Since the user base is relatively very small for firewalls with HIPS compared to users of other security products, many issues don't get reported in time to warn all new users of potential problems.

3. User errors within the program:
Some users don't know how to use there advanced firewalls with HIPS, so they make errors which can cause serious corruption of system components, installed software, Blue Screens of Death, system lags, poor system performance, corrupt web connectivity, even a complete reinstall of Windows maybe required to fix the problems.

4. Bugs within the product: All firewalls with HIPS are full of bugs whether users want to admit it or not. If you don't believe me, visit the product's support forums and you will see all of the reported bugs. There is even more bugs that don't get reported. What is really strange when you first install a firewall with HIPS, it appears to work very well then one day without making any user errors or system changes, it will start to give you problems. I can tell you a horror story for just about all of the firewalls with HIPS that I have used over the years caused by bugs. One of the main reasons that I no longer use these type of programs. If they are full of bugs, then how can you trust them to protect you? For the most part firewalls with HIPS are just like beta releases, some even like alpha releases. You and your system are the guinea pigs. They are not stable, in spite of many user claims. They will continue to require manual tweaks in order to use. It is a constant battle to get everything to work correctly.

So I completely agree, if you are a basic computer users don't install any of them. The cons out weigh the benefits by a long shot. Just use Windows Firewall.

Enjoy!!:D

Reactions: WinXPert

(BlackBox) Hacker

Level 2
Verified
Apr 21, 2014
I only use my product now Windows Firewall Console 9.0 with Avast Antivirus 9.0 very cool stuff!

Cap1.jpg

Cap2.jpg

Cap3.jpg

Cap4.jpg

My Desktop Screenshot with UAC enabled! It was 80% Transparent, but I like this silver Software Skin and I can change any feature as well!

upload_2014-4-22_12-16-39.png

Reactions: software182

(BlackBox) Hacker

Level 2
Verified
Apr 21, 2014
I should warn users that it is for Advanced users only!

upload_2014-4-22_12-23-46.png

Download Source: http://www.bestfreewaredownload.com/freeware/t-free-windows-firewall-console-freeware-obpyyylj.html

A false bug report on thread: http://malwaretips.com/threads/windows-firewall-console-blackbox.25468/page-2

I only use my product now Windows Firewall Console 9.0 with Avast Antivirus 9.0 very cool stuff!

Cap1.jpg

Cap2.jpg

Cap3.jpg

Cap4.jpg

My Desktop Screenshot with UAC enabled! It was 80% Transparent, but I like this silver Software Skin and I can change any feature as well!

View attachment 10146

Attachments

• upload_2014-4-22_12-24-5.png
    upload_2014-4-22_12-24-5.png
    256.1 KB · Views: 419
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.